1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Loss of feeling in my toe

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by MamarSal, Feb 27, 2021.

1. MamarSal

MamarSal · Newbie

I’m really worried that my little toe keeps going numb and I’m worried. I don’t manage my diabetes as well as I should and just feel like I’m falling to bits! My teeth have started falling out and apparently that can be linked to diabetes and now my toe keeps going numb. I feel like I need a kick up the bum as I’m becoming really down about it but I know it’s my fault as I am self sabotaging. I don’t take my meds regularly and never have and eat way way way too much sugar and don’t drink enough water as well as doing very little exercise. Thank you for reading this far but has anyone had this and can it be turned around? I’m 50 and don’t want to miss out on my granddaughter growing up. She’s 4 nearly.

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @MamarSal and welcome!

I don’t have experience of this, but I know enough to say that you’ve taken a big step by coming here and seeking to make a change.

Certainly getting better control of your blood sugars will help and is the best thing you can do to improve your health and hopefully turn things around.

In the meantime it’d be helpful for us to know what type of diabetes you have and whether you’re taking insulin or any other diabetes medication.

Also tagging @Ushthetaff who may have some wise words for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's very good that you know what you have to do, and what your issues are: I would like to encourage you that the lifestyle changes required to get your condition under control are entirely achievable, and not too onerous. You can do it, but you need to start ASAP. Good luck!

4. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Ok let's start from today. Your grand daughter is an excellent figure to keep in your head. I lost a tooth to diabetes, it literally crumbled. At one stage I could not see my daughters face fully who was around 6 metres away, this was one of the catalysts for me to make a change.

The good thing about the support here, is that if you want it, you can ask as many questions as you want; if you're not sure how to get started, dump all the types of food groups you eat (meats, fish, veg, dairy, etc) and we can give some ideas. For gentle exercise a walk after meals will help get the sugar out (start small and build up).

5. d_grohl69

d_grohl69 · Newbie

Is it just the one toe?

6. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I definitely feel your pain , you’ve definitely made the hardest step, by realising what you have to do , i was in a similar place a few years ago, now I’m not a “model “ diabetic but I am better. All I’ll say is small steps , don’t try and eat the whole elephant so to speak , the best thing you can do is to take your blood sugars regularly, cos without that you don’t know where you are . You have a huge incentive to change things around , your granddaughter , believe me when I say it can and will get better , by the sound of it if you take your blood sugars and take your meds you’ll have a 100 % increase , and let’s face it 100% was always acceptable when I was in school.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook