Type 2 Loss of feeling in my toe

MamarSal

I’m really worried that my little toe keeps going numb and I’m worried. I don’t manage my diabetes as well as I should and just feel like I’m falling to bits! My teeth have started falling out and apparently that can be linked to diabetes and now my toe keeps going numb. I feel like I need a kick up the bum as I’m becoming really down about it but I know it’s my fault as I am self sabotaging. I don’t take my meds regularly and never have and eat way way way too much sugar and don’t drink enough water as well as doing very little exercise. Thank you for reading this far but has anyone had this and can it be turned around? I’m 50 and don’t want to miss out on my granddaughter growing up. She’s 4 nearly.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @MamarSal and welcome!

I don’t have experience of this, but I know enough to say that you’ve taken a big step by coming here and seeking to make a change.

Certainly getting better control of your blood sugars will help and is the best thing you can do to improve your health and hopefully turn things around.

In the meantime it’d be helpful for us to know what type of diabetes you have and whether you’re taking insulin or any other diabetes medication.

Also tagging @Ushthetaff who may have some wise words for you.

Reactions: LaoDan and Antje77

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's very good that you know what you have to do, and what your issues are: I would like to encourage you that the lifestyle changes required to get your condition under control are entirely achievable, and not too onerous. You can do it, but you need to start ASAP. Good luck!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Ok let's start from today. Your grand daughter is an excellent figure to keep in your head. I lost a tooth to diabetes, it literally crumbled. At one stage I could not see my daughters face fully who was around 6 metres away, this was one of the catalysts for me to make a change.

The good thing about the support here, is that if you want it, you can ask as many questions as you want; if you're not sure how to get started, dump all the types of food groups you eat (meats, fish, veg, dairy, etc) and we can give some ideas. For gentle exercise a walk after meals will help get the sugar out (start small and build up).

d_grohl69

I’m really worried that my little toe keeps going numb and I’m worried. I don’t manage my diabetes as well as I should and just feel like I’m falling to bits! My teeth have started falling out and apparently that can be linked to diabetes and now my toe keeps going numb. I feel like I need a kick up the bum as I’m becoming really down about it but I know it’s my fault as I am self sabotaging. I don’t take my meds regularly and never have and eat way way way too much sugar and don’t drink enough water as well as doing very little exercise. Thank you for reading this far but has anyone had this and can it be turned around? I’m 50 and don’t want to miss out on my granddaughter growing up. She’s 4 nearly.
Is it just the one toe?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I definitely feel your pain , you’ve definitely made the hardest step, by realising what you have to do , i was in a similar place a few years ago, now I’m not a “model “ diabetic but I am better. All I’ll say is small steps , don’t try and eat the whole elephant so to speak , the best thing you can do is to take your blood sugars regularly, cos without that you don’t know where you are . You have a huge incentive to change things around , your granddaughter , believe me when I say it can and will get better , by the sound of it if you take your blood sugars and take your meds you’ll have a 100 % increase , and let’s face it 100% was always acceptable when I was in school.

Reactions: Goonergal