Loss of job

Amyjane_

So long story short...
I was working as a bank worker at a hospital. I was diagnosed with diabetes at the beginning of April. Since then I have not been able to go back (due to social distancing) (nurse advice). Couple weeks ago had an email saying they are terminating my contract because I haven’t been picking up shifts. I told the manager what has been happening.

I am not sure where to go from here. I wrote a letter to the manager just over 3 weeks ago. Had heard nothing back. They haven’t given me a reference. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO?! Any advice please??????

Girvo

I was diagnosed 18 months ago and due to various complications had 12 months on the sick, for most of it I received sick pay, I then started back on a phased return of 2 hours a day, then covid struck, I've been on furlough since ( as have all of our workforce, 1,100 of us), that's what should have happened to you, also you are now covered by the disability at work act, so they can't terminate due to your illness, if you went to a tribunal, YOU WOULD WIN,
BTW, my daughter works for the HSE, so she got all the legislation and acts up for me just in case.
Hope this helps a bit. Good luck

Reactions: DavidK59

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So long story short...
I was working as a bank worker at a hospital. I was diagnosed with diabetes at the beginning of April. Since then I have not been able to go back (due to social distancing) (nurse advice). Couple weeks ago had an email saying they are terminating my contract because I haven’t been picking up shifts. I told the manager what has been happening.

I am not sure where to go from here. I wrote a letter to the manager just over 3 weeks ago. Had heard nothing back. They haven’t given me a reference. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO?! Any advice please??????
Were you a permanent employee? How long were you working there?

I don’t know if citizens advice is currently going any remote working but they may be a good port of call