Lost medical records?

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Talking about medical records i cant believe mine have gone missing in my hospital.I went for my usual check up last year and the clinic could not find my notes.I was fuming because its nearly 38 years of my diabetes information.I have wrote to everyone at the hospital and they have still not been found after almost a year.I have only been to two departments in the hospital and my notes have simply disappeared.I am more upset because in all the years ive had diabetes (38)i have never missed an appoinment or been late.They only have information about me from the doctors and temporary notes.I really dont know what i can do next.I have phoned and written to the ombudsman,medical records department and all other departments but they still cannot trace them.I wonder if this has happened to anyone else.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I think you need to find who has the "big Guns " on this and start threatening. Have you written to the hospital's chief executive?

Katharine

Your GP may be able to give you copies of say the last five years letters and a summary of your past illnesses and medications and allergies. This could be used to start off a new set of records. It could help in the event of you needing admission to hospital.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...I can tell you where they are. Some doctor somewhere will have borrowed them for some such perpose and left them in the coffee room on top of the massive pile already there.

wiflib

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Jenny said:
Does it really matter?
Yes Jenny it really does matter to me anyway.It is not just 38 years of my diabetes history but also when i had my children and what happened when i was having them and all history of my allergies and all the different types of insulin i have had over the years.One doctor even said at diabetic clinic "i dont really know much about you because i only have temporary notes" well that made me feel angry like what was the point of me attending then.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
oh that is just awful ... go and stamp your feet - brim up with tears and threaten a hypo or something ... good luck getting them back hun xxx

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Jem said:
oh that is just awful ... go and stamp your feet - brim up with tears and threaten a hypo or something ... good luck getting them back hun xxx
Thanks Jem and everyone i cant believe that i got a phone call (after nearly a year and half) from records department in my hospital to say my notes have been found!I am made up because it meant a lot to me.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Did they say where they found them?

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
hanadr said:
Did they say where they found them?
I havnt asked them yet i was too made up to think,but i am going to call them back later to find out if they know where they have been

Katharine

It may not be feasible to photocopy the whole lot. If you want this done it can be done but will be expensive.

Perhaps you could ask to see the notes and to photocopy key pages. You could then keep these.

Make sure you have them handy if you are admitted to hospital. (Just in case!)

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
ahhhhh I am so glad you've got them back!! wooooh

copying them might be a pain in the backside, what about asking to borrow them and scanning the lot (don't forget to back up to external hard drive or permanent media, dvd or something) and then you have it all to hand??

:) best, J/x