Lots of blood from freestyle Libre

Elliemison

I have been using the freestyle Libre for about 4 months now and I have read across forums that it is normal for the application to bleed every now and again. The problem is mine bleed every single time I put a new sensor on, I have been trying different areas on my arm either a bit higher or more in the middle but this doesn’t seem to make a difference. It also bleeds an abnormal amount where it comes out the hole and is dripping down my arm and just wondered if this was normal?

I also wondered if this was bad for the adhesion as I can always see through the clear bit that there is a lot of blood underneath, the sides always soak up the blood too and it just looks awful, I have never bled like this from a normal injection and was just wondering if anyone else has had this or has any advice?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Elliemison Bleeding from the site is fine it looks worse than it is but doesn't affect the sensor, i've had a few myself. It will of course discolour the surrounding plaster but again it's not issue and it never affected my sensors, you're just hitting a blood vessel, the needle in the insertion is quite long to ensure the filament is pushed deep into the skin, but many of us have had bleeders with no issues :)

Reactions: Elliemison

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
My very first one bled loads. The Abbot rep said those can be more accurate as you'd usually have to wait for the glucose to diffuse to the interstitial fluid, but if you've hit a blood vessel the it is likely the sensort filament is near the vessel so likely to be more accurate with less lag time betweeno finger prick readings and sensor readings.

They told me to wait around and see, one that bleed are usually fine but if it is too much blood it could stop the sensor from working, in which case it would come up with an error message and they would happily replace it.

While it seems fine to be bleeding, I understand it is annoying if it is every time! I'm not sure what to suggest, do you do any sort of exercise before applying? Have you contacted Abbott or your DSN to see if they have tips on preventing it?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been using the freestyle Libre for about 4 months now and I have read across forums that it is normal for the application to bleed every now and again. The problem is mine bleed every single time I put a new sensor on, I have been trying different areas on my arm either a bit higher or more in the middle but this doesn’t seem to make a difference. It also bleeds an abnormal amount where it comes out the hole and is dripping down my arm and just wondered if this was normal?

I also wondered if this was bad for the adhesion as I can always see through the clear bit that there is a lot of blood underneath, the sides always soak up the blood too and it just looks awful, I have never bled like this from a normal injection and was just wondering if anyone else has had this or has any advice?

Hi there, I can't help with the bleeding but I wonder if those libre covers (sticker type things) you can get would cover up that ghastly looking white thing? x

Reactions: Elliemison

Elliemison

Hi,
My very first one bled loads. The Abbot rep said those can be more accurate as you'd usually have to wait for the glucose to diffuse to the interstitial fluid, but if you've hit a blood vessel the it is likely the sensort filament is near the vessel so likely to be more accurate with less lag time betweeno finger prick readings and sensor readings.

They told me to wait around and see, one that bleed are usually fine but if it is too much blood it could stop the sensor from working, in which case it would come up with an error message and they would happily replace it.

While it seems fine to be bleeding, I understand it is annoying if it is every time! I'm not sure what to suggest, do you do any sort of exercise before applying? Have you contacted Abbott or your DSN to see if they have tips on preventing it?

I never seem to have done anything significant before putting them in. I did think about getting in touch with Abbott but I didn’t think it was something that they’d really be able to help with, I assume I just have a lot of blood vessels in my arms or something! It is good to know that the ones that bleed are more accurate though, thanks

Elliemison

Hi there, I can't help with the bleeding but I wonder if those libre covers (sticker type things) you can get would cover up that ghastly looking white thing? x

That might be a good idea, I have seen them on amazon but never thought of that, thanks!