Lovely Fruit oh how I miss it!

florrieboo48

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thought I was doing the right thing by ordering my fruit delivered to my door by a new local entrepreneur, each week. Lovely box came last night, but can only really eat the strawberries, and there is only 2 small punnets. It has a lovely yellow melon, bananas - huge ones, pears, apples, grapes. All look so tempting! Might see if they can do veg instead

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too really miss fruit, I do eat blueberries, raspberries and strawberries in moderation even though they do increase my BS. I have a grapefruit every morning (as I always did) and that seems OK as I have it just before my breakfast and I do have thge occasional orange.

Can your supplier substitute blueberries and some veg for the fruits you can't eat? Worth asking.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fructose is pretty bad for t2's
we convert upto 30% of glucose to fructose that overloads the liver already
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybOPCB2Qd4
upload_2015-4-11_19-26-27.png
upload_2015-4-11_19-26-45.png
upload_2015-4-11_19-27-8.png

Barragirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I miss my fruit and I struggle to know what fruit i can eat. Although I am low carbing I feel I am missing out on nutrients etc. I like veg but again not sure apart from the green veg what I can eat. I Take a multi vit with iron vitamin D and omega three fish oil. Florrieboo I am with you on the fruit not easy.

C

catherinecherub

The answer is to test and see.
Temperate fruits are usually better than tropical ones and eaten as part of a meal, rather than a snack, will get the best results. The overall low G.I. of the meal will lessen the impact.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fructose does not raise the BG much, which is another trap with it, it's not like glucose.

Reactions: 4 people

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
I can eat more fruit when i am active as my body requires it as fuel, if i go for my usual 5k run i need the energy, certainly when i have returned my bg has been low so i have a blended banana and apple, spinach smoothie (better than any lucozade) and i'm up back within range. The more active you are the more fruit you can have in your diet, the more sedentary the less fructose a diabetic can tolerate. Staying active in whatever form is the key.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never saw myself as a fruit fan, preferred veg and salad. But, I liked melon (spikes me), banana (spikes me) and grapes (spikes the worst!) So, now I have an occasional apple and blueberries (I have them with Greek yogurt). I miss grapes the most :-(