low BG when using wizard medtronic

Matt1212

Hello Everyone,

Question when using the pump for a meal bolus and the you have had a reading below your range in the last 15 minutes. Would you use the wizard and enter the low BG i.e 3.0 and let the wizard reduce your meal dose , even though you have taken some fast acting carb and your BG is now in range ?

For example
6.00pm test BG - it is 3.0 , take 50ml lucozade
6.15pm restest BG and it is 5.5
6.15pm dinner is 45g carb (ratio 20carb - 1u insulin) so normal blus 2.2u
However if enter 3.0 BG into wizard the bolus will be 2.2u less 0.5u (as BG was 3.0 below range and insulin sensitivity is 6.0 to 1u insulin)

Problem is getting high BG later as under bolus for meal

What do other pump users do ?

thanks
Matt

jopar

No as the low has been treated...

If you use the low reading in the wizard, it will calculate a reduction in your insulin dose, and you will end up high..

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I agree with Jopar, but it is confusing.
If I'm low immediately before the meal I put in my glucose level, the pump screen says don't bolus until your glucose is normal' I have to say I ignore that and just bolus and eat. TBH this happens quite often at dinner and I know it works fine for me and I am almost never very low ie just under 4mmol. If I were very low I would treat, wait and then dose according to my new glucose level.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I agree, I was told to treat the low retest to get normal reading and then bolus and eat..as normal.....

liklejojo

I'm afraid I agree, I would go with the new reading that is ok as this is the level that you would have had if you didn't go hypo.