Low BG?

• Thread starter Deleted member 371625
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 371625

Yesterday afternoon I spent watching rugby in the pub, accompanied by 4 pints of beer and a large whisky. It was a 2 mile walk to the pub each way and when I returned home I checked my blood before eating. To my surprise it was only 3.1 (a retest confirmed this). Considering the 900 Calories and 40g of carbs I had consumed after a good lunch I thought that this was very low. I am not on any medication at all. Back to a normal 4.9 this morning.

I did wonder whether booze was hindering the liver in its breakdown of glycogen to glucose but am only guessing.

Does anyone have any idea why I might get such a low value?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yesterday afternoon I spent watching rugby in the pub, accompanied by 4 pints of beer and a large whisky. It was a 2 mile walk to the pub each way and when I returned home I checked my blood before eating. To my surprise it was only 3.1 (a retest confirmed this). Considering the 900 Calories and 40g of carbs I had consumed after a good lunch I thought that this was very low. I am not on any medication at all. Back to a normal 4.9 this morning.

I did wonder whether booze was hindering the liver in its breakdown of glycogen to glucose but am only guessing.

Does anyone have any idea why I might get such a low value?
You're right in what you've said about your liver. When consuming alcohol, it's preoccupied in dealing with the drink and therefore cannot convert the usual stored glycogen into glucose.

3.1 may not indicate hypoglycemia in a non-diabetic, and it's entirely possible that it may not indicate hypoglycemia in a non medicated T2. I do feel that it's slightly on the low side, but considering that you are not on any BG lowering medication then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Did you have any of the symptoms of hypoglycemia with your 3.1mmol/l?

Reactions: Emily95
D

Deleted member 371625

You're right in what you've said about your liver. When consuming alcohol, it's preoccupied in dealing with the drink and therefore cannot convert the usual stored glycogen into glucose.

3.1 may not indicate hypoglycemia in a non-diabetic, and it's entirely possible that it may not indicate hypoglycemia in a non medicated T2. I do feel that it's slightly on the low side, but considering that you are not on any BG lowering medication then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Did you have any of the symptoms of hypoglycemia with your 3.1mmol/l?
Not really, I'd just walked home and was heating up leftovers in the m/wave when I did a test. Probably psychosomatic but when I saw the figure I did feel a little woosy so ate 4 or 5 strawberries straight away.
I quite regularly get pre dinner readings below 4 but never this low before. I'm not concerned, but was just a little curious really.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really, I'd just walked home and was heating up leftovers in the m/wave when I did a test. Probably psychosomatic but when I saw the figure I did feel a little woosy so ate 4 or 5 strawberries straight away.
I quite regularly get pre dinner readings below 4 but never this low before. I'm not concerned, but was just a little curious really.
If the lower readings become more frequent, especially when following a carb based meal, then you may want to look into "reactive hypoglycemia". @Brunneria and @Lamont D are two notable forum members with a lot of experience on the subject:)

Reactions: Ultramum
D

Deleted member 371625

If the lower readings become more frequent, especially when following a carb based meal, then you may want to look into "reactive hypoglycemia". @Brunneria and @Lamont D are two notable forum members with a lot of experience on the subject:)
No, I generally get between 4.8 or 6.0 after a meal (2 hours), only 3.8, 3.9 or thereabouts when I haven't eaten all afternoon (about 5 hours), particularly when I've been busy.
Like I say I don't take meds and get no results even in the prediabetic range. I either have good control (1600Cal / 120g Carb average per day and quite a bit of walking) or am not diabetic (possible reversal). Time will tell I guess.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, I generally get between 4.8 or 6.0 after a meal (2 hours), only 3.8, 3.9 or thereabouts when I haven't eaten all afternoon (about 5 hours), particularly when I've been busy.
Like I say I don't take meds and get no results even in the prediabetic range. I either have good control (1600Cal / 120g Carb average per day and quite a bit of walking) or am not diabetic (possible reversal). Time will tell I guess.
So your T2 diagnosis was from an OGTT or HbA1c test PRIOR to you adopting the LC dietary approach?

One thing worth mentioning, is your meter's +/-15% error margin. That 3.1mmol/l could have been more of a 3.8mmol/l given the ISO 2013 guidelines.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy.html

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's what is known as the period people have the afternoon slump.
Just to note I have late RH, I don't go hypo till after three to four hours after eating!