Low blood count/anemia

lynde89

Hi all,

Went to get my blood results yesterday. My hba1c was up by 0.1 so not too please with that after making improvements. But the nurse said there was a note saying my blood count was lower, she wasn't sure if it was borderline or anemia but I have an appointment with the dr tomorrow to discuss as they requested. I have had this a couple times now, but has anyone had the same thing? I just don't want it affecting me too much?

Thanks!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hi,
I've had type 2 diabetes for over15 years now and I controll it pretty well. I started to feel very tired,falling asleep a lot which doesn't make the wife happy. My doctor sent me for a comprehensive blood test including B12. When I got the results my B12 level was very low 78. normal is between 200 and 900.
I looked this up on the internet and found out something called the intrinsic factor which has to do with absorbing the B12 from food. I was then sent for another blood test to see if I had the intrinsic factor and the results came back that I did ,so I didn't have pernicious anemia.My malabsorption came from the various drugs that I take, Metformin Lansoprazole and several others .But taking these drugs over a long time can deplete your store of B12 I had to have six injections over two weeks to bring my B12 levels up and I've just had the first of my three monthly injections.
So just be aware that if you have been on Metformin for over ten years when you have a routine blood test get your doctor to include B12

Reactions: Liam1955

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I've had type 2 diabetes for over15 years now and I controll it pretty well. I started to feel very tired,falling asleep a lot which doesn't make the wife happy. My doctor sent me for a comprehensive blood test including B12. When I got the results my B12 level was very low 78. normal is between 200 and 900.
I looked this up on the internet and found out something called the intrinsic factor which has to do with absorbing the B12 from food. I was then sent for another blood test to see if I had the intrinsic factor and the results came back that I did ,so I didn't have pernicious anemia.My malabsorption came from the various drugs that I take, Metformin Lansoprazole and several others .But taking these drugs over a long time can deplete your store of B12 I had to have six injections over two weeks to bring my B12 levels up and I've just had the first of my three monthly injections.
So just be aware that if you have been on Metformin for over ten years when you have a routine blood test get your doctor to include B12
Yeah, I've the same issue. My diabetes is under control but am also mildly anemic. Been taking Metformin for sometime. It's now over a year since I stopped medication since my last A1C which was at 5.2. My primary physician gave me the option either to see a GI or keep an eye on it if it got worse. My next appointment and lab test result will determine my decision. But yes, either a diabetes complication in the gut or type of medication can affect B12 absorption. I got stool culture test done and there was no bleeding so must be related to diabetes.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi :).
I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 17 years and been taking Metformin for 16 years. My B12 count is tested every 6 months and is always ok. But, my Ferritin Levels (Iron Stores) vary - at the last check a few weeks ago it was 12. I take 3 tablets everyday of Ferrous Sulfate and my Bloods get checked every month now. I have suffered with Iron Deficiency Aneamia for about 4 years now, and I wonder if it was because around that time I was taking some powerful drugs for another Health condition.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi :).
I have had Type 2 Diabetes for 17 years and been taking Metformin for 16 years. My B12 count is tested every 6 months and is always ok. But, my Ferritin Levels (Iron Stores) vary - at the last check a few weeks ago it was 12. I take 3 tablets everyday of Ferrous Sulfate and my Bloods get checked every month now. I have suffered with Iron Deficiency Aneamia for about 4 years now, and I wonder if it was because around that time I was taking some powerful drugs for another Health condition.
Was the med some form of blood thinner or platelet therapy? I am on Chopidogrel, and it is known to lead to triggering stomach ulcers if used for long term. I have to take a PPI med to counteract the acidity caused by the pills. Seems like I have sprung a slight leak in my internal plumbing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have pernicious anemia. (Anti-parietal cell antibodies). Nothing like a b12 shot in the backside...
Have also had various other gut bleeding, iron problems...
Last time I went to hospital before diabetes I had a hemoglobin of 43 and couldn't stand up... stay on top of your blood levels people!

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi @Oldvatr - I took Methotrexate for 18 months and then went straight onto Biological Drugs. (Which I am still on 4 years later)
I am seeing my GP next week and going to ask if I can have on prescription the Liquid Iron - the Iron Tablets (I take 3 a day) give me terrible heartburn/indigestion and I have to take Omeprazole twice a day, which must stop some of the absorption of the Iron from the tablets.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Oldvatr - I took Methotrexate for 18 months and then went straight onto Biological Drugs. (Which I am still on 4 years later)
I am seeing my GP next week and going to ask if I can have on prescription the Liquid Iron - the Iron Tablets (I take 3 a day) give me terrible heartburn/indigestion and I have to take Omeprazole twice a day, which must stop some of the absorption of the Iron from the tablets.
My research showed that Lansoprazole is a more benign med for irons supplementers. I moved my Lansaprazole and Clopidogrel to be the last meds of the day, so it has worked clear by breakfast meds. I am on 3x tabs a day, and yes I do get some unwelcome side effects from it. Collywobbles galore. From what I remember from Floradix, it can have similar probs

Seems I have a staph infection going on, I told my GP at my review that my white blood count was high and may be due to an infection. This would affect my haematocrit value. Now my urine sample has been finally tested, the answer is yes, I do have something going on 'down there' and I am having an emergency scan next week to see what else is growing amongst the gut flora.

Q4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been a diabetic for over 50 years and when my blood count was checked it was low, at the same time I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Looking back this was after being on lisinopril for 6 years and also raised my sodium and potasium levels were raised which made me unable to have some treatments for my arthritis.My diabetic consultants advice was to miss the lisinopril on the 2 days before the treatment. He would not change the lisinopril despite the pack insert saying this was one of the side effects of lisinopril. I have now been changed to another ACE inhibitor which does not have the same side effect

add19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my latest A1C is now at 4.8. there is no improvement on my anemia but stable.