Low blood pressure and hypoglycemia

azizdhl

Hi guys

1. Does having hypoglycemia under 60 cause a low blood pressure?
2. Does hot weather cause a low blood pressure for diabetics?
3. Does 88/65 blood pressure consider as a serve low blood pressure?
4. What do you do when your blood pressure is low as a diabetic?
5. If you blood pressure goes down while sleeping.. Are you going to have a coma like hypoglycemia?
6. Does taking 8mg of candesartan may cause low blood pressure?

Please if you give a detailed answer that would be great

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @azizdhl, From my reading, not as professional advice or opinion.
1. My doctor told me that Blood pressure (BP) is often normal or high during a hypo because of the adrenaline released as part of the emergency response of the body to the hypo
2. I can experience low BP in hot weather. The blood vessels near the skin open wider and more blood pools in them than usual leaving less in the remainder of the circulation - leads to low BP, worse if I am on BP-lowering medication.
3. Australian Heart Foundation; Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Hypertension in Adults 2016 quote an ideal BP as equal or less then 140/90, where 140 is the systolic, and 90 the diastolic pressure. (measured seated, with appropriate sized cuff, arm at heart level, slow deflation of cuff.
A 24 hour monitoring of BP is preferred to individual readings as a basis for diagnosis.
However an optimal BP is quoted as equal or less than 120/80, with 138/88 to 120/82 as high-normal range. Hypotension (low BP) is defined in Wikipedia as less than 90/60. It is also usual to refer to hypotension where symptoms such as dizziness, fainting etc are present.
Orthostatic hypotension (lowering of BP with posture change e.g. lying or sitting to standing is defined as fall of 20 mmHG or more in the systolic BP (and in some definitions a fall of 10mmHg or more in the diastolic) +/- increase of 20 beats per minutes in heart rate. Some diabetics suffer from orthostatic hypotension as part of a complication called autonomic neuropathy.
4. Under guidelines mentioned in 2. above, BP monitoring during sleep is high if >120/70, compared to >140/90 when awake and upright. On that basis the expected fall in blood pressure compared to daytime when sleeping is only about 20 mmHG. This is not orthostatic hypotension (where the change is from lying down or sitting to standing). Unless there is a cause for sudden onset of low BP such as severe bleeding, the usual level of nighttimeBP does not cause coma etc. according to these guidelines and Wikipedia.
I hope the above helps answer your concerns and queries.

Reactions: Jaylee and EllieM

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
6. Does taking 8mg of candesartan may cause low blood pressure?
Dr Google states it's a blood pressure lowering drug, so I'm not sure why you'd take it if you regularly had low blood pressure?
My understanding is that high blood pressure is the biggest concern for diabetes, and 88/65 is only borderline low. (Below 90/60 is defined as low, so I personally would want more than a few readings of 88/65 before bothering, but I am not a doctor so could well be wrong.)

azizdhl

Dr Google states it's a blood pressure lowering drug, so I'm not sure why you'd take it if you regularly had low blood pressure?
My understanding is that high blood pressure is the biggest concern for diabetes, and 88/65 is only borderline low. (Below 90/60 is defined as low, so I personally would want more than a few readings of 88/65 before bothering, but I am not a doctor so could well be wrong.)

This medicine was given to me as a maintenance dose for diabetes kidney issues.. But i never had any blood pressure issues with till last three days.. I had 88/65 and since the beginning of September i moved to a new city where the weather is more hot and humidity than I used to.. So am just asking

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
This medicine was given to me as a maintenance dose for diabetes kidney issues.. But i never had any blood pressure issues with till last three days.. I had 88/65 and since the beginning of September i moved to a new city where the weather is more hot and humidity than I used to.. So am just asking
Yes, doctors in different countries obviously do different things about blood pressure medications. I personally have been on blood pressure pills for decades, because I do have high blood pressure without them, but I only got put on them when my blood pressure started to go high. And I have had my medication reduced when extra exercise reduced my blood pressure. In your position, if you've got evidence of low blood pressure, I'd probably query your doctor about the pills, or at least the dosage. I don't have a clue about the effect of climate and blood pressure, unfortunately.

azizdhl

Yes, doctors in different countries obviously do different things about blood pressure medications. I personally have been on blood pressure pills for decades, because I do have high blood pressure without them, but I only got put on them when my blood pressure started to go high. And I have had my medication reduced when extra exercise reduced my blood pressure. In your position, if you've got evidence of low blood pressure, I'd probably query your doctor about the pills, or at least the dosage. I don't have a clue about the effect of climate and blood pressure, unfortunately.

Thanks a lot for your help

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling

I cut a similar drug in 1/2, or I get dizzy. Some days when I know I’m going to be really active, I don’t take it at all. It’s a maintenance drug so we can afford to take less of it.

If you had high blood pressure, this would be a different story.

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @azizdhl
1. My doctor told me that Blood pressure (BP) is often normal or high during a hypo because of the adrenaline released as part of the emergency response of the body to the hypo.

I can vouch for this.. I've had my BP checked whilst having the occasional drop or whilst on the rise from a low over the years & been told "it's a bit high" & asked once if I have been running to the appointment? Checking again later, I was fine..

Recently I got a chance to borrow a home BP monitor & done checks whilst treating a hypo. My BP had indeed risen & crossed the threshold...

I take no meds for BP. (For anything to be fair other than the insulin.)

azizdhl

I cut a similar drug in 1/2, or I get dizzy. Some days when I know I’m going to be really active, I don’t take it at all. It’s a maintenance drug so we can afford to take less of it.

No I was given this medicine just for kidney safety. So if I cut it into 1/2 will I see the result within the same day or need a couple of days to see any difference ?

Reactions: kitedoc

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
No I was given this medicine just for kidney safety. So if I cut it into 1/2 will I see the result within the same day or need a couple of days to see any difference ?

I take it every other day. I’m not a big person. And we don’t need it for high blood pressure. We take it for a maintenance drug.

Reactions: azizdhl

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

On a very hot day if I am at the beach kite flying I omit the BP lowering (kidney-protecting) medication. I had an episode several years ago of getting very dizzy in such circumstances. A friend on the same medication was with me and had the same experience (he has T2D). The others in the group were fine.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You would need to see your doctor and discuss it with him/her. If my doctor's approach is anything to go by, not only was by BP checked sitting but standing as well to make sure there was not a fall in my BP.

Reactions: azizdhl