Low blood sugar problems

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I've been back on carbohydrate counting and not having sugary drinks I've been having more hypos and they've been affecting me more does anyone have any advice?

- megan

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Since I've been back on carbohydrate counting and not having sugary drinks I've been having more hypos and they've been affecting me more does anyone have any advice?

- megan

Hi, Megan. I spotted your post on the main forum page. As a Type 2 I keep my carbs low because that keeps my levels down but if I was on meds or insulin as well I would have to be careful not to eat too few carbs as the combination could bring the blood sugar low enough for a hypo. Hopefully, a Type 1 will be along to give you more specific advice, but I am sure it's all about getting the balance right between insulin and carbohydrate intake. I hope you get in control of it soon so that everything is a bit less stressful.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo
D

Deleted Account

That may be because your meal time bolus was taking into considerations your sugary drinks, etc.
You could try reducing your insulin to carb ration. So if you currently take 1 unit of insulin to every 10g carbs, you could change this to 1 unit of insulin to every 12g carbs.

Reactions: diabeticmegxo

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Megan. I spotted your post on the main forum page. As a Type 2 I keep my carbs low because that keeps my levels down but if I was on meds or insulin as well I would have to be careful not to eat too few carbs as the combination could bring the blood sugar low enough for a hypo. Hopefully, a Type 1 will be along to give you more specific advice, but I am sure it's all about getting the balance right between insulin and carbohydrate intake. I hope you get in control of it soon so that everything is a bit less stressful.

Thank you I don't have high bloods it's just lows now I have an appointment tomorrow so hopefully it'll be sorted

Reactions: pleinster

diabeticmegxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That may be because your meal time bolus was taking into considerations your sugary drinks, etc.
You could try reducing your insulin to carb ration. So if you currently take 1 unit of insulin to every 10g carbs, you could change this to 1 unit of insulin to every 12g carbs.

I'm one unit to every 8g of carbs my appointment is tomorrow to see how it's going so hopefully it'll be sorted thank you for the advice means a lot

Reactions: DCUKMod