Low Blood sugar whilst fasting

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently 24 hours into my 36+ hour fast. I started fasting from Saturday tea time to Monday lunch time at the beginning of Jan, so this is fast no 4. Out of curiosity I have taken BG readings throughout the day and they have all been between 4 and 5 today however I have been between 3.5 and 4.5 I have just taken it and the reading was 3.3 (that is the average of 3 tests) My question is - is it normal to go that low - I feel fine.
Should I end the fast and eat before I go to bed?

M

Member496333

I would be cautious but if you are not using insulin or hypoglycaemics then I don't think you have much cause for concern. It should be fine to run that low provided you feel good. Most likely you're running predominantly on ketones, but if you're hungry, or concerned, then you should eat.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Jim Lahey I am currently not on any Diabetes meds. I feel fine I think I will test again before bed and if it hasn't dropped further I will continue and if it has I will eat.

Reactions: Lotties

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been down in the mid to low 3's when on an extended fast but usually on the third day.. then they go back up to about 4-4.5 after that. If you're not taking any meds you should be fine.
If you start to feel ill then eat otherwise...

Reactions: Lotties

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m with the others - have seen those types of numbers when fasting and they do go back up. If you’re not on insulin or other BG lowering meds and you feel otherwise ok, then you should be fine.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 3.6 when I went to bed. I have survived the night and am 3.5 this am. I am due to end the fast at diner time but may if I feel OK go until tea time (that is lunch time and dinner time for those not from Northern England!).
Thank you @Jim Lahey @bulkbiker and @Goonergal for your reassurance I am quite new to this extended fasting. I have done 18:6 fasting for a while.