Low blood sugar

Fragilewend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I've been on Metformin slow release for 12 months Recently had 2 low readings after meals one 4.2 today 3.8 feel very shaky Had some sweet biscuits and sweet tea. I thought you couldn't become hypo on metformin or does anyone thin the dose maybe too high. I'm taking 2 X 500mg with my tea.

Reactions: Freema
A

asparagusp

There have been similar experiences discussed here. Do a little search. How much Metformin are you taking?

Another possibility is that you don't eat enough. Obvious I know!

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can sometimes get readings that low and I'm not even on Metformin. I think they would be considered in the normal range for non-diabetics. I think normal is about 3.5 to 5.5. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. It maybe that you are hungry and need some more food. I've had 3.9, 2 hours after eating and was fine.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It sounds like you are one of those people who can go a bit low. The Metformin may be having a small effect. Just be aware and have something sweet when this happens.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin in normal doses is not considered on its own to be able to lead to hypoglycaemia even if taken by people without diabetes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've been on Metformin slow release for 12 months Recently had 2 low readings after meals one 4.2 today 3.8 feel very shaky Had some sweet biscuits and sweet tea. I thought you couldn't become hypo on metformin or does anyone thin the dose maybe too high. I'm taking 2 X 500mg with my tea.

Hi,

Do you low carb to manage your diabetes too? You should see your doc to review the metformin dose..
My T2 dad. (No longer with us.) amended his diet by cutting out the carbs. Had similar readings/sometimes lower post meal & (in his case.) came off the met altogether..

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I take 2 x 500mg metformin twice aday.
I have had 2 hypos but I Don, t think it's the metformin

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Just to say, my 2 low readings were before meals

slipper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get very low readings at time and suffer hypos and I am diet only. I think lows can be as much trouble as highs sometimes.

Fragilewend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies not been a good day had nose bleed earlier. Blood sugar now 7.2 so maybe I was hungry although had a good breakfast. Will discuss at my review on Thursday.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I thought you couldn't become hypo on metformin

In theory, that's what they say. My BG did once go very low after an afternoon's gardening (mowing and lots of shifting stuff) but I guess that could easily have happened without Metformin. I have a friend who isn't diabetic and regularly hypos, a skinny so and so who usually eats constantly and hypos if he doesn't.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm one of those people who have always (apart from around diagnosis) run low, and it's a very unusual day that I don't have readings in the threes. I feel fine and consider those numbers to be "just how I am".

I will point out that I have never taken any meds for diabetes, so nothing is driving those numbers.

@Fragilewend , if you are having lots of these episodes, and you feel off, it could be worth a discussion with your Doc/Nurse as they may want to consider trimming your meds a little.