Low blood sugar

AJ71

Hi. I take 500mg metformin in the morning and at night. I haven't been doing much testing lately. Got told off by my GP for testing too often. However I took a pre dinner test yesterday as I felt a bit odd. It was 9.8. 2 hours post meal, I felt really drowsy and assumed bs had gone up further, so took a test and it was only 3.7
I didn't eat any starchy carb with that meal. Just broccoli and salmon as bs was high pre-meal. Everywhere I read it says you don't get hypos on metformin, and yet my bs dropped low enough that I had symptoms of being too low. I didn't want to go to bed with it that low so drank ½ glass of juice and got it up to 6.5 before going to bed. I'm wondering if I should still have had starchy card with that dinner meal even though bs was high pre meal? Any tips or advice? Recently diagnosed type 2 in June.

Reactions: Iswole

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. I take 500mg metformin in the morning and at night. I haven't been doing much testing lately. Got told off by my GP for testing too often. However I took a pre dinner test yesterday as I felt a bit odd. It was 9.8. 2 hours post meal, I felt really drowsy and assumed bs had gone up further, so took a test and it was only 3.7
I didn't eat any starchy carb with that meal. Just broccoli and salmon as bs was high pre-meal. Everywhere I read it says you don't get hypos on metformin, and yet my bs dropped low enough that I had symptoms of being too low. I didn't want to go to bed with it that low so drank ½ glass of juice and got it up to 6.5 before going to bed. I'm wondering if I should still have had starchy card with that dinner meal even though bs was high pre meal? Any tips or advice? Recently diagnosed type 2 in June.

I would think that it is a rogue reading, unless you are on other meds, you shouldn't go that low. I would continue with pre meal and two hours post prandial.
You did the right thing in having some juice to help you be ok for bed.
It all depends on the results you are getting to introduce carbs back into your diet.
You could do with not having the extra spikes that you will get with carbs until you are closer to normal levels than you are now.

Keep safe.

Reactions: Iswole

Iswole

I had a very serious hypo yesterday afternoon after taking metformin with 2.5 mg of clamide. I added clamide for fear of elevated BG.