low Blood Sugars

toner29

Hi
I have been a type 1 diabetic for little over a year and I am still struggeling to maintain my blood sugars. It is not un common for me to have high blood sugar but more often than not I am low. I was wondering what the long term effects are for low blood sugar??? I am aware there are serious short term effects for low blood sugar, and serious long term effects for having high blood sugar but I have not been told about any long term effects for low blood sugar. Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya steve ,
you need to look at what is causing this rollercoaster with your numbers,
i was like that a few yrs ago and for me going basal bolus and carb counting lowish carbs i got better control, what insulin regime are you (if indeed you are on insulin,if not what meds?)on and what kinds of blood sugars do you get on a normal day, also what do u eat?
lets see if we can help :D

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unless you are a child or an old person, the most serious long term effects of frequent hypos seems to be a loss of hypo awareness. This can obviously lead to the dangerous short term effects of which I think you are only too well aware.
If you are on a basal/bolus regime (ie a long term background insulin and a rapid one for meals)and know how to match your insulin intake correctly to your food and activity then you shouldn't have this rollercoaster effect. There is a course that helps with this called DAFNE, and if it is available in your area from what I read this is well worth doing.(if nothing else to meet other people with the same problems)
However there is also an online course (from the Bournemouth endocrine centre) which is well worth looking at. It teaches about carb counting and insulin adjustment.
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/