Low Carb. Advice and opinions please

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing great on lchf since May 2016. Have lost 29kgs and type 2 in remission. Bad news is my weight loss seems to have totally stalled in the last few weeks and I have at least another 11kgs that I need to lose. I am 50+ female that only walks for exercise as have knee issues. Another thing is my total cholesterol and LDL have shot up considerably. Should I be cutting down on the cream and fatty meats I have been enjoying? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been doing great on lchf since May 2016. Have lost 29kgs and type 2 in remission. Bad news is my weight loss seems to have totally stalled in the last few weeks and I have at least another 11kgs that I need to lose. I am 50+ female that only walks for exercise as have knee issues. Another thing is my total cholesterol and LDL have shot up considerably. Should I be cutting down on the cream and fatty meats I have been enjoying? Any advice would be really appreciated.

You could always try and see what happens next time you have a test.

Regarding the cholesterol, as long as your triglycerides are very low, and your HDL nice and high, I doubt there is much to worry about though.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I found that plateaus could last for 3-4 weeks, so I wouldn't worry. The main thing is to keep your calories up so your metabolism doesn't slow down, and also watch your proteins as I find anything over 70g (I weigh 72kg) halts or increases my weight.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For ME, all dairy, grains, starches and fatty meats halt weight loss. Saturated fat, cheese, cream, chicken skins, too many nuts all make me gain.

I can eat lots of mono/plant fats like avocado, mayo, olive oil, olives and small amounts of nuts with no issues.

Portion sizes do matter. Too much of any food will stall weight loss

Reactions: donnellysdogs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You have lost 29kg so obviously what you have been doing has worked very well for you. Maybe your body needs a bit of time to acclimatise to being lighter. My weight loss stalled after 6 stone and has slowed considerably since.. I am now experimenting with different ways to get the weight loss to restart. Have just finished month of animal products only with 2 meals a day. And am today just starting a one meal a day with maybe a very small snack and increased fat with less protein to see what happens. I'm guessing it took more than 9 months to gain the excess weight you have lost so maybe give your body a chance to catch up with your success before loosing hope. I think that stalls are quite natural and that a few weeks for most would not be considered a "stall" keep up the great work and I'm sure you will get there.
Hope that helps a bit.

PoppyPetal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all of your comments. I have done great until now and do not want to make too many changes to the way I am eating lchf so At the weekend I decided to go down the route of tracking everything I eat with my fitness pal. Just from a couple of days I can see that I am having too much protein so need to maybe change that. Up until now there was no need to measure anything but I will do from now just to hopefully get back to losing weight.

I think in UK readings are normally in mmol/l but mine are in g/l. My last 3 tests are from April & September 2016 and January 2017:

Trigs. 1.55 / 1.48 / 1.06. g/l
Colesterol 1.87 / 1.92 / 2.12. g/l
HDL. .61 / .42 / .61. g/l
LDL. .95 / 1.2 / 1.3. G/l

Again thanks to you all

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually lose weight on low carb, really easily - but I suspect that I have become sensitive to insulin again - insulin is the fat producing hormone, so I am storing up what carbs I do eat as I have lowered my resistance.
So I say - great - normal service is resumed and I'll have to go out more, check all that I am eating, maybe try a few supplements and different things - but I don't feel that I need to worry as long as my BG levels are staying low even after food.
Also my knees are not hurting so much. Wonderful - let the medics worry about whatever numbers get them in a tizzy - If I can go up and down stairs again that is a load off my mind. I was thinking that I needed to install a stair lift this year.