Low carb and low fat?

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, in a few days time I’m having my gall bladder removed, the advice is to have a low fat diet, but I control my type 2 by a low carb diet already, (80 g of carbs a day) I’m not on any medication. Is it possible to have a low fat, low carb diet?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both low carb and low fat will leave you with limited sources of energy and hungry.

The good news is that you may not need to make as many changes as you think. Tagging @Rachox as she has some experience here. Sure there are others, but can’t think of them at the moment!

Reactions: Megnala and Numan

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had my gallbladder out many years ago and when I later went keto had no problems at all with the fat content it required. I suspect their advice would be necessary if you still had a gallbladder and problems with it, but afterwards bile will be entering your gut still, just not in a targeted way.

Low carb and low fat, as @Goonergal says, would leave you waaay too hungry.

Reactions: Goonergal and Numan

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal . I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and diagnosed diabetic in 2017. I have eaten a low carb diet since my diabetes diagnosis and I have no problems, in fact my bowels have gone from being unpredictable with a tendency to being too loose to normal. I wasn’t advised to eat low fat after surgery and I was in a pub eating a bacon sandwich the following day! Of course these days I’d have the bacon with an egg not in a sandwich!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, in a few days time I’m having my gall bladder removed, the advice is to have a low fat diet, but I control my type 2 by a low carb diet already, (80 g of carbs a day) I’m not on any medication. Is it possible to have a low fat, low carb diet?
If just for a few days eating low fat , pre-op, shouldn’t impact too much on your T2 control. Post surgery, return to your preferred way of eating. Following gall bladder removal, I find I can cope with higher , healthy fats in diet. I just have to go easy with the cream.
Best wishes for surgery and a speedy recovery.

Reactions: Numan

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Another one here who has found no issue with high fat after gall bladder removal.
The advice they gave me was not to switch to a low fat diet, but to go easy on the fats the first couple of days after the OP, and build it up again to see how I'd react.

I didn't listen, because I accidentally ran into a very high fat meal on the 4th day after the OP, which happened to be the first day I was hungry again so I was ravenous.
Decided to ignore the advice and just get it over with and see what would happen with a large plate of very fatty food, and nothing happened.

I guess building it up slowly makes more sense though, but just to show many people don't experience issues with fatty foods at all, hope you're one of them as well!

The advice to eat low fat after removal is because some get stomach trouble if they go too fast too soon. So it's to save you from discomfort, not because anything bad can happen (apart from feeling rubbish for a couple of hours).

Good luck and hope you'll have a swift recovery!

Reactions: Goonergal and Numan

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also had my gallbladder out a few years before my diabetes diagnosis. I was one of the unlucky ones who had issues with eating fat after and was worried about the impact of low carb and extra fat in my diet but it was not as bad as expected. In fact the extra fat balanced the lower fibre in my diet!

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies, the advice given to me by the doctor was low fat for the rest of my life, I hope she hadn’t seen something in my results she wasn’t letting on about . I will see how I do after surgery , thank you for the advice

Reactions: Goonergal

finzi1966

I had my gallbladder out in 2016, have never had any difficulty at all with eating fats. If you *have* a gallbladder, and have gallstones, then fats can cause excruciating pain, but once you no longer have one, there’s usually no reason why you have to adjust your diet at all.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
M

Member496333

Gall bladder aside, low fat low carb is necessarily going to mean getting the balance of energy from protein. Particularly if you don't have much body fat to spare. Past a certain point this will bring with it a glucose footprint that may manifest as an issue for some type 2. Many don't report this as a problem but in the end protein must be turned into glucose if it's to be used for energy. The impact appears to be very individual but should definitely be considered.

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal . I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and diagnosed diabetic in 2017. I have eaten a low carb diet since my diabetes diagnosis and I have no problems, in fact my bowels have gone from being unpredictable with a tendency to being too loose to normal. I wasn’t advised to eat low fat after surgery and I was in a pub eating a bacon sandwich the following day! Of course these days I’d have the bacon with an egg not in a sandwich!

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the comments, well keyhole turned to full surgery, I’m in a great deal of pain and can’t go to the loo. My wife is looking after me like the saint she is. Diet is out of the window at the moment, tablets being taken every few hours. It’s really such fun safe to say I will never have any cosmetic surgery lol

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ouch!
Get better soon, @Numan , glad you're being looked after well!

Take your wife out to dinner once you're recovered enough to enjoy that yourself, you both deserve it.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hope you're feeling a bit better. Blimey, there's a lot of Gall Bladder free people on here!!