Low carb and night hypos

emmalou1990

Hi guys.
I’ve had T1 for 18 years and have pretty much ate what I wanted and adjusted. I recently have been through a period of stress and anxiety which caused my blood sugars to spike and as such I changed my diet to a low carb approach whilst I try to control the jumps - still eating 3x a day but smaller meals, typically low carb 20-40g so around 80-100g of carbs a day. But, I’m finding that most evenings I’m going low around 3am...but I take my lantus in the morning? Any suggestions on how this can be avoided?
Thanks in advance!

emmalou1990

For example, last night I had a chicken soup for dinner - blood was 10 before so injected plus a small extra for correction....3 hours later blood had not gone down so gave an extra unit...and was alerted at 3am that my blood was low!

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe try taking your Lantus later? Or don't correct before bedtime if you're at 10 - do you normally come down a bit overnight? I find that insulin affects me differently overnight so i don't like correcting before i go to bed.

emmalou1990

Maybe try taking your Lantus later? Or don't correct before bedtime if you're at 10 - do you normally come down a bit overnight? I find that insulin affects me differently overnight so i don't like correcting before i go to bed.
Thanks - yeah recently I’ve been drifting at night so may lay off the correction...but you know what it’s like when you see it on the machine and panic ‍♀️

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks - yeah recently I’ve been drifting at night so may lay off the correction...but you know what it’s like when you see it on the machine and panic ‍♀️
All too well - don't worry about a 10, i'd rather be a little bit high like that than have a hypo overnight :)