1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb and vegetarian

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Pambo123, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Pambo123

Pambo123 Type 2 · Member

Well started this new way of eating last Monday after hb1ac result was 62% from 64 previously and before that 60. Was on victoza for about 10 months but after initially losing 10lbs which I regained I told my doctor I didn't think it was right for me. So back on anagliptin as well as continuing with networking and invocana. So started low carb a week ago using quorn instead of meat also eggs cheese and nuts for protein. So far lost 6lbs(I know its mostly water but it's a loss) but more importantly my blood sugars are so much better. Instead of being in the teens before bed and around 7 in the morning they are now around 8.5 before bed and about 6 in the morning. I am type 2 and I bought my own blood tester which is a accu check mobile. So quite pleased with myself today hope I can keep going. It is worth it. Oh and I haven't felt hungry once.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 5
  2. cdpm

cdpm Type 2 · Well-Known Member

how are you doing?

3. Pambo123

Pambo123 Type 2 · Member

Blood sugars under better control and stable between 6 and 8/9. I lost 7lbs in first 2 weeks but none this week. Going to keep going though but it's not easy. Thanks for asking
    Pam

• Like Like x 1
  4. Widgets

Widgets Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I was so pleased when I read the packaging and discovered Quorn was low carb. The blokeshape has been vegetarian for over 40 years, it would have been really hard for him had I gone back to eating meat.

It is so much easier to be vegetarian than it was when I first went veggie back in the early 1980s.

Well done on your results!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Manda Foodie

Manda Foodie Don't have diabetes · Member

I have also been veggie since the early 1980s - wow is it much easier now! Swindon had 1 shop that sold 'health foods' back then; how times have changed.

6. iwilltouchyourcat

iwilltouchyourcat LADA · Well-Known Member

I’m vegan after being veggie for years and quorn ham slices are my saviour for low carb protein. I also use the meatless farms burgers and sausages and ‘this isn’t’ bacon and meatballs once or twice a week, but try and stick to whole foods as much as I can (but I’m a sucker for a burger!)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook