Low Carb and Weight Loss

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just wondering if anyone else out there has gone low carb and NOT experienced weight loss? I am low carb - I aim for less than 50g carbs a day - as a way to keep my blood sugar more manageable and except for the odd weeks where it goes haywire - like the last time I posted! - it works well.

I eat fairly healthy low carb and jog 3-4 days a week and walk another 2 days but am noticing lately that my weight is increasing rather than decreasing. I track my food and eat about 1500 kJ per day.

Has anyone else experienced this? I would like to drop those extra few kilos and am disappointed that this doesn’t seem to have happened.

While weight loss was never the primary goal, I am probably 5 - 10 kg heavier than I would like to be!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Stefp

I too follow the same regime as you in regards to low carb and exercise and cannot lose weight, I am not gaining but also not losing anything, when ideally I could do with dropping a few kilos, I don’t have a winning formula sadly except that it does plateau and as long as it doesn’t continue to rise then you’ve hit your peak, I know my body responds to insulin differently during the day so avoid carbs for breakfast otherwise I can end up taking double doses to manage it yet at tea time I can cope fine with insulin management, I have heard t1‘s weightlifting find it easier to lose weight as the muscles drain glucose quicker when training but that’s not for me !

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply Juicy - a winning formula would be good wouldn’t it? I have tried weights but my body doesn’t like it - actually causes my blood sugars to rise!
I am the opposite - struggle with hypos after breakfast even taking 1 or 2 units of humulog and eating the same amount of carbs as later in the day (about 15) but become increasingly insulin resistant as the day goes on- I am wondering if this is because I take one dose of Lantus at night and this has evaporated out of my system by lunchtime.