Low Carb and wrist injury = higher readings ??

Matty_T

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who responded about the Ketosis/Ketoacidosis thread.

I must stress, if you don't want to read the whole 'story' then you can just skip to the question at the end, lol.

Now, as if to test me (!!), the good lord above has thrown another spanner in my works. Last night when I came home I parked my car half way onto our upward sloping driveway. I couldn't get it all the way on because our street (West Midlands in UK) is like an ice rink. After my low carb burger and some eggs etc I tested my blood sugar and it was a lovely 5.6 - which is consistent with the great readings I've having since beginning my low-carb lifestyle.

I looked out of my upstairs window to see my car was now position in the middle of the street, perilously close to the neighbor's brand new Mercedes over the road! It had slid down the drive and into the road (such is the ice here!!).

After twenty mins of wheel spinning etc, a few neighbors came out to push me. I ended up 'somewhere near' my driveway (in fact...it's still there now!). As you can tell we have poorly gritted street and we have this problem a LOT! I've never gone out of my way to help people before. I'll be honest here and say that was 'mainly' to do with 'carbs'. If I had a whack of insulin and a 'carby' meal then pushing someone's car around in a street would likely make me 'over sensitive' to the higher dose of insulin and send my blood sugars right down. That would mean more sugar/carbs etc, and it would all be a hassle.

After these guys helped me push my car I vowed I would repay the favour and help the next stranded passer-by (and in a ice-ridden cul-de-sac we have out three a day this time of year!). It didn't take long! Half an hour later someone was stuck fast outside our house. Without a worry over potential plummeting blood sugars (because of the significant drop in insulin dose) I marched on outside to help...

Slip, Bang...Wallop! I fell on my **** with a mighty thud and the stranded lady placed her hand over her mouth in horror. I clambered to my feet (on patches of ice!!) and walked over to her - obviously worse for wear. I said "I was only coming to help you out!" and went behind the car. As I pushed the car I felt the searing hot tingly pain in my left wrist and switched to pushing with my right shoulder. Another passer by quickly helped and we pushed the lady away to a tooting horn of thanks.

I walked into the house and said to my partner "I don't want to worry you but I think I've broke my wrist." It had swollen instantly and my thumb was...erm...misshaped. I'm not one to needlessly bug doctors over minor things, but as we watched my wrist and thumb continue to swell we had no option but to visit our local hospital.

One long queue, one x-ray, another long queue and 4 hours later I was put in a splint for a week and told to 'rest up'. There were no 'visible fractures', but such was the severity of the swelling I have to go back again in a week for a once over.

Now...and I'm sorry I'm so long-winded but I like to paint the full picture...when I got back home my BS was 10.6 My partner had said I was a bit pale with the initial shock/pain so it didn't shock me that I had a high reading. I had some fast acting novarapid and a little a 2units of Humilin to see me through the night.

I awoke with blood sugar of 5.7 I went back to my usual (since lo carb) 6 units of Humulin (and 7 in the evening). I had a pot of egg mayonnaise for brekky. Cals of about 500 and 4grams of carb. That was at 9.30am At 2pm my reading was 8! This hasn't happened since starting low-carb. I had a unit of fast acting, some ham (300 cals) and some cream (300 cals). About 6 grams of carbs in that portion. I've just tested (4.30pm) and now it's 8.7...so the fast acting hasn't really worked.

This food intake is normal of my lifestyle lately and I've not had to inject further insulin or had readings above 7 for almost two weeks.

So...is it the injury that is causing higher blood sugars? Is it the ibuprofen/paracetamol (having to take 6 of each per day to bring down swelling).

I guess I was wanting to know if anyone who has had a severe 'bruising' has had elevated sugars for awhile after? I know I can 'Google' it, but hearing off you guys is so much more real.

There is someone stuck outside our house right now as I slowly type this with one free hand. I think I'll just draw the curtains and pretend I'm out... :shh: :silent: :shh:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
wow no wonder you have a wrist injury :) ... ok ill read it now

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
:( sorry your hurt, no idea as to the answer but i enjoyed your story hehe good luck :)

carandol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just to confuse matters, when I cracked a rib and was lying around for days on painkillers, my blood sugar went DOWN and I had to drop my insulin because I kept having hypos.

They do say that stress can increase your blood sugar, and that was surely a stressful experience!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In times of illness, injury and stress it's not unusual for our bg to rise, to compensate you'll need to increase your insulin to keep your levels within range.

btw, get your council to grit the roads and pavements or you'll withhold your council tax payments :wink:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Matty!

A few days before Christmas I sprained my toe and thought I'd broken it. The pain was unbearable. I couldn't put it to the floor and I had to sit with my foot up and a bag of frozen peas on it for days (yes, right through Christmas dinner :roll: ). It took 8 days for the pain to subside enough to be able to move around anything like normally. For about 6 days, my BG went really high every time I ate anything and remained pretty high even before food. I increased my basal by a couple of units morning and evening and was on almost double my normal bolus dose and I still struggled to keep my BG in single figures, having to take frequent correction doses. From the 6th day, the pain started to get bearable and my BG started to reduce, so I started to gradually reduce the extra insulin - first the bolus and later the basal. In all, it took 10 days for my BG to get back to my normal levels and for me to reduce my insulin right back to my pre-injury dose. I think in times of stress (physical or emotional), our bodies become insulin resistant to protect us. Your BGs will get back to normal once your body is less stressed. In the meantime, increase your doses, test frequently and correct with small amounts of bolus as needed.

Take care

Smidge