low carb bread - fantastic.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've never heard of any. They probably don't make low carb bread, since bread is a very good source of carbs.

As proven by myself and a few other poster you can make low carb bread its made by Sukrin and is very easy to bake at home. Its also Gluten free which is a double win.

Reactions: 2 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have tried the sukrin. ridiculously easy to prepare although it needs about 80 mins in the oven. very dense and seedy. it tasted pretty **** good probably because i have not had any bread for over 3 months. didn't get very crispy in my toaster oven though. i found it difficult to slice that small dense loaf into 14 pieces. probably get around 8-10 good size cuts. had 2 of those yesterday. my blood sugar was 6.1 prior to eating. 30 mins postprandial was 6.8. same reading after an hour & 6.5 after 2 hours. so, all in all very good.

i had another two slices for breakfast today & 2 slices for dinner. it may just be my imagination and the fact that as i mentioned had not had any bread in a while, but i feel that it left a subtle sweet aftertaste that has stayed with me all day. and i fear that although the impact on blood sugar is negligible, it seems to have triggered my cravings and i ended up scoffing a not so small pack of peanuts after dinner. which might not seem so awful were it not for the fact that i have not (literally) NOT had any snacks anytime throughout the day for the last 3 weeks and only once in the last 2 months.

so sadly, i am finishing it off and not having any more...well, after i finish the other pack seeing as i bought two. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Lidls german full seeded rye bread , cheap and in moderation doesn't spike my bloods ::))

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Bread is a carb however you could try alternatives such a rye bread which is high in fibre and will leave you feeling fuller for longer.
you could also try cracker breads such as riveta and things like that

You can't eat these products if Coeliac, as OP is and a few others, myself included. It can makes Coeliacs very ill :eek:

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been to Morrisons and asked to speak to the head of the bakery dept. i asked him if they did any NIL or very low carb loaves or buns. His answer (and it was a split second one) was no, sorry but you might find something in the "FREE FROM" section, isle 24. I then said "don't you think there would be a market to produce Low Carb bread for people like diabetics" to which he replied "No, not really as I don't think there's that many". I just walked away and bought a bag of Jelly Babies.:eek:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have tried the sukrin. ridiculously easy to prepare although it needs about 80 mins in the oven. very dense and seedy. it tasted pretty **** good probably because i have not had any bread for over 3 months. didn't get very crispy in my toaster oven though. i found it difficult to slice that small dense loaf into 14 pieces. probably get around 8-10 good size cuts. had 2 of those yesterday. my blood sugar was 6.1 prior to eating. 30 mins postprandial was 6.8. same reading after an hour & 6.5 after 2 hours. so, all in all very good.

i had another two slices for breakfast today & 2 slices for dinner. it may just be my imagination and the fact that as i mentioned had not had any bread in a while, but i feel that it left a subtle sweet aftertaste that has stayed with me all day. and i fear that although the impact on blood sugar is negligible, it seems to have triggered my cravings and i ended up scoffing a not so small pack of peanuts after dinner. which might not seem so awful were it not for the fact that i have not (literally) NOT had any snacks anytime throughout the day for the last 3 weeks and only once in the last 2 months.

so sadly, i am finishing it off and not having any more...well, after i finish the other pack seeing as i bought two. :)

That is, almost exactly, my experience.

I would just add that it was so dense (in a good way!) that melted butter ran off the edge rather than sink in. ;)

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the Livlife Seriously Seeded bread this morning and it is not too bad.
No spike with 2 slices (and less than 4g carbs per slice too)
We've portioned it out and stuck it in the freezer for use over the coming weeks

Milk Roll is the other bread I have found that was okay. Although the slices are tiny and about 8g carbs each

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hovis Seed Sensations was recommended by @bluetit and it's by far the nicest bread I've tried so far. Found the others too dense or the slices ridiculously small. Normal size slices that don't spike me at all.

Tooconfused

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
You guys are very lucky in the UK, so much variety and choice. In Spain these kind of breads don't exist. In Lancashire at Christmas I actually enjoyed supermarket shopping!!

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I found small bergen linseed and soya bread tastes very bland but doesn't spike my bg. I might try the seed sensations. Also depends what you put on it aswel.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just been to Morrisons and asked to speak to the head of the bakery dept. i asked him if they did any NIL or very low carb loaves or buns. His answer (and it was a split second one) was no, sorry but you might find something in the "FREE FROM" section, isle 24. I then said "don't you think there would be a market to produce Low Carb bread for people like diabetics" to which he replied "No, not really as I don't think there's that many". I just walked away and bought a bag of Jelly Babies.:eek:

Hi, I had to highlight your sentence it did make me smile ;) asked him if they did any NIL or very low carb loaves or buns. His answer (and it was a split second one) was no, sorry but you might find something in the "FREE FROM" section, isle 24.t

If that was the case, probably the whole world would be eating them :happy::joyful: Free from has a lot of carbs per grams:eek: :rolleyes: lol

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bought some Hi-Lo in Sainsbury's on Friday. 5g of carbs per slice and nice enough.

This looks delicious though, will have to dust off the bread maker!

Edit: I've just read the instructions which say to bake in the oven. Has anyone tried this in a bread maker? I wonder if it would work...

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I have to say that Livlife bread is the best thing since...... well, sliced bread really. Finally a bread I can eat that doesn't raise my BG! The only problem is actually getting hold of it. My local waitrose stocks it, but often they have run out. I placed an order via their website, and after messing me around for a week they told me they could not supply it via the website. You can get it off Amazon but it's pricey at £2.45 a loaf and £5 postage. I buy as many loaves as I think I can fit in the freezer, usually 6 at a time. It sets me back £20 but is worth it.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have to say that Livlife bread is the best thing since...... well, sliced bread really. Finally a bread I can eat that doesn't raise my BG! The only problem is actually getting hold of it. My local waitrose stocks it, but often they have run out. I placed an order via their website, and after messing me around for a week they told me they could not supply it via the website. You can get it off Amazon but it's pricey at £2.45 a loaf and £5 postage. I buy as many loaves as I think I can fit in the freezer, usually 6 at a time. It sets me back £20 but is worth it.

Have you tried Hovis Seed Sensations? Much prefer it to Livlife or Bergen. Good size slices that don't spike my BS.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Have you seen the listed ingredients rowan , not something i would eat , but you pays your money and makes your own choices .

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you seen the listed ingredients rowan , not something i would eat , but you pays your money and makes your own choices .

No I haven't, what are they?

Just found a list, palm oil, production kills orangutans so i won't be buying it!