Low Carb Bread

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
depending how low carb you are this find (Sainsbury’s) could help.

Soya & Linseed Bread by Burgen 12g net carbs per slice. (With a decent amount of elusive fibre too, 4.3g per slice). They are a little smaller than a standard slice but fairly thick. It’s about half almost all the others and not a ridiculous price.

I’m keeping it in the freezer - labelled to keep everyone else away - and toasting it as I heard that freezing and toasting makes the carbs more resistant to digestion therefore spike you less.

I had 2 slices for lunch with butter and Peanut Butter With Sunflower Pumpkin & Flax Seeds By Whole Earth and at 2 hrs was up 1.9mmol. I’d say a win that’s worth a brisk walk afterwards or just one slice maybe next time.

Reactions: enzina

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say a win too considering you had two slices. not tried this one myself as I tend to have the Hi-Lo bread that Sainsbury's stock which is 5g of carb per slice. I have one slice toasted out of the freezer with butter for breakfast when I've had enough of egg & bacon etc. or running short of time in the morning race to get to work

Reactions: whitech

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say a win too considering you had two slices. not tried this one myself as I tend to have the Hi-Lo bread that Sainsbury's stock which is 5g of carb per slice. I have one slice toasted out of the freezer with butter for breakfast when I've had enough of egg & bacon etc. or running short of time in the morning race to get to work
They didn’t have that one (I was looking for it originally). They had a hovis low carb one seeded or not but that was actually higher/100g

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The non-seeded Hovis one is the most bread like low carb option I've tried but it had pretty much the same effect as standard bread on my blood sugar. Shame because it really was a great bacon sandwich! maybe the ketchup I added wasn't a good idea!?... I plan to try it again sometime as if tolerated it would be my first choice.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I either have the Sainsbury’s HiLo bread at 5g per slice or the Waitrose Livlife bread at 3.9g per slice. As the Waitrose bread has smaller slices they are about the same. I found the Sainsbury’s bread is the best to toast.

KMPMBA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would check 3 hours later too, I spike with low carb seeded bread sometime after 2 hours, my 3 hour readings after a low carb slice is higher then 2 hours. That not the case with other carbs, everyone is different so maybe it's just me. Better to rule out delayed spikes.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It would be really helpful if all foodstuffs were labelled using the same currency. So noted per 100g rather than per a slice where there will almost certainly be no such thing as a standard weight slice. It’s so tedious. The other thing I notice is the traffic light system used by (for example M&S) don’t note carbs except on the back of the packaging. The traffic lights are really helpful otherwise.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Tesco’s High protein bread or, when I can’t get it, Hovis low carb - both are about 9 carbs per slice.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be really helpful if all foodstuffs were labelled using the same currency. So noted per 100g rather than per a slice where there will almost certainly be no such thing as a standard weight slice. It’s so tedious. The other thing I notice is the traffic light system used by (for example M&S) don’t note carbs except on the back of the packaging. The traffic lights are really helpful otherwise.

They are ALL labelled per 100g (uk anyway). And per portion which is what I thought was relevant to quote as that’s what I ate and logged. Traffic lights are totally useless as far as I’m concerned. It totally depends on what someone thinks deserves a green or red light and I’m guessing it’s based on eatwell plate which most of us think is fatally flawed. Guess we all like different things

D

Deleted member 308541

They are ALL labelled per 100g (uk anyway). And per portion which is what I thought was relevant to quote as that’s what I ate and logged.
The Herman Brot lower carb bread we buy, has per slice reading on the bag as well as per grams / 100 grams.

https://hermanbrot.com.au/products/low-carb-bread/

Bread_NutitionArtboard-1.png

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The non-seeded Hovis one is the most bread like low carb option I've tried but it had pretty much the same effect as standard bread on my blood sugar. Shame because it really was a great bacon sandwich! maybe the ketchup I added wasn't a good idea!?... I plan to try it again sometime as if tolerated it would be my first choice.
Asda sell sugar free Ketchup, not as nice as Heinz but still not to bad.

MikeyJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asda sell sugar free Ketchup, not as nice as Heinz but still not to bad.
Thanks @Ian_Laye never thought to look for sugar free ketchup, assumed I would do without or just occasionally in those 'what the hell' moments