Low carb bread

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I've just moved to the UK (Newcastle) and looking for a low carb bread? I've seen LivLife and Hilo that say they can be bought in Waitrose/Morrison's and Sainsburys respectively but I've not seen them.

Also, any low carb cereals around? Thanks

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure where you’ve come from but if it’s the us then prepare to be sorely disappointed. Very little prepared low carb foods here. It’s mostly all from fresh.

There’s a hovis low carb, that isn’t especially low carb. Asda do a high protein that’s low(er) carb. My huge Sainsbury’s don’t do the Hilo either. No such thing as a low carb cereal here that I’ve found. Try googling grain free granola. Lots of recipes for seed and nut based alternatives.

On the plus side marks and Spencer’s have just introduced a meat’zza that’s apparently quite good. Not seen or tried it myself.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I came here from Australia. The Aussie Aldi did one which apparently isn't available here. I found a Morrison's lower carb one at 11g per slice. Better than nothing I guess. I am surprised, I thought there would be better stuff here. The protein bars don't seem to be very low carb either

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco do a high protein bread which is 10g carbs per slice - ok for me but poss too carby for others

Reactions: Lesleywo

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've occasionally bought Livlife from Ocado (also Carbzone which is a lot more expensive) but if I've wanted something bread-like I've generally made my own low carb versions either from scratch ( basically using something like sesame flour, eggs, and fat) or used a DIY bread mix (Sukrin or the rather weirdly named UGG!)
You could also try the Diet Doctor website or Google for various low carb bread recipes.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not sure where you’ve come from but if it’s the us then prepare to be sorely disappointed. Very little prepared low carb foods here. It’s mostly all from fresh.

There’s a hovis low carb, that isn’t especially low carb. Asda do a high protein that’s low(er) carb. My huge Sainsbury’s don’t do the Hilo either. No such thing as a low carb cereal here that I’ve found. Try googling grain free granola. Lots of recipes for seed and nut based alternatives.

On the plus side marks and Spencer’s have just introduced a meat’zza that’s apparently quite good. Not seen or tried it myself.

You can buy Livlife from Ocado

Soj0354

I am in South East of UK and can buy livlife at Waitrose and Hilo at Sainsburys. If you can’t get Hilo in store try on line. Both 5 g per slice, useful to keep in freezer for when you haven’t got much time. If I’m going to a restaurant I take a couple of buttered slices. This evening I brought them home uneaten but last Sunday I had a sea food salad which was just lettuce and 4 large prawns, not very filling, so I smuggled the bread and a chunk of cheese from my handbag on to the plate and was glad of them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Asda do a protein bread which is 4 gm of carb per slice.