Low Carb Budget Friendly Recipes and ideas (possibility to batch cook)?

Hedz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I am looking for Low Carb simple low cost / budget friendly recipes anything that can be made in a slow cooker or batch cooked or ingredients made up in bags and frozen for a quick dinner which can be easily taken out and reheated or cooked in no time, any suggestions please? Also any snack or seasonal treats would be great too. I'm looking through the threads as well as asking too! Thanks.

Reactions: fumanchu

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: fumanchu

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can access a proper butcher, bones turned into bone broth make wonderful bases for soups and stews, and they taste different every time. Some supermarkets sell bones too. Bargain veg. on its last day can be chopped up and added, and the extra can be frozen for another day. A decent stock cube (I tend to use vegetable stock) and some meat fat, butter or olive oil gives extra oomph. Good food doesn't come much cheaper.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
low cost / budget friendly recipes anything that can be made in a slow cooker

It took me a long time to work out that anything that can be cooked in an oven can be cooked in a slow cooker and/or an air fryer. For ages I laboured under the assumption that the slow cooker was for ‘stews’ and the air fryer would be best for things like chips. How wrong I was!

As someone who maximises protein and minimises veg, the slow cooker is perfect for the cheaper cuts of meat - literally bung a small amount of liquid (can be bone broth as suggested by @Outlier above, but plain water does the job too) along with a piece of say, brisket, or oxtail or lamb shoulder and hey presto, dinner is ready when you need it.

Similarly the air frier knocks up chicken wings to die for in minutes, or cooks chops leaving them juicy and flavourful. I even managed a low carb cake in the air fryer this week!

Simple, quick, delicious and nutritious foods.

Edited to correct typos.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My quickest and easiest meals aren't even cooked. Just cold meats, cheeses, olives, nuts, eggs.
A £3.00 piece of gammon boiled for an hour and left to go cold give 6-8 generous portions for less than 50p a time. Ditto cold sausages.
Eggs boiled then cooled last for days. I do 6-10 at a time.

Hot dishes include mince, either bolognaise style or Mexican or Indian seasonings. Chicken pieces with different seasonings.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi

I am looking for Low Carb simple low cost /

I totally agree about slow cooking.

Really great for bone stock soup

….. fish stew is perfect too …. Tomatoes celery onions salt pepper cook for several hours . Then add fish dill and lemon juice.

I use the largest slow cooker which delivers 6 good size portions so 3 days for me and oh or can be frozen.

The cheapest most underrated meal though is my current go to breakfast. Egg in a cup. Boil eggs ( 3 for me). De shell While still warm place in large cup with huge amount of butter. Add salt pepper and mash. Eat. Wash cup and make tea ……

…….