Low carb cereal type breakfasts?

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!
I make up a box of mixed seeds, sesame, poppy, chia, crushed flaxseeds, whizzed pumpkin and sunflower seeds to put half a scoop in porridge or overnight oats, bran flakes. Make my bread with a good scoop too.

Reactions: saky

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make up a box of mixed seeds, sesame, poppy, chia, crushed flaxseeds, whizzed pumpkin and sunflower seeds to put half a scoop in porridge or overnight oats, bran flakes. Make my bread with a good scoop too.
Not sure that makes it low carb if it’s still porridge, oats, bran flakes and bread though - even with the added seeds the grains are still there too.

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure that makes it low carb if it’s still porridge, oats, bran flakes and bread though - even with the added seeds the grains are still there too.
The fibre does flatten the peak, though. At least for me. Quite a bit of protein in there as well

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fibre does flatten the peak, though. At least for me. Quite a bit of protein in there as well
The problem I see with flattening peaks is the resulting lengthening of the rise instead giving much the same overall time above the desirable level. Both high but short peaks and extended but less high levels are problematic imo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem I see with flattening peaks is the resulting lengthening of the rise instead giving much the same overall time above the desirable level. Both high but short peaks and extended but less high levels are problematic imo

Agree.
I think this may be a difference in perspective that occurs between people who take diabetes meds or insulin (@Angela64 and @plantae ) and T2s who manage on diet only (like the OP, yourself, and myself)

Lakeslover

There is a brand of low carb granola type cereal sold online, called keto Hana. It’s very tasty, although a bit expensive. I like it with Greek yoghurt as I don’t drink milk.

whizzed up in a food processor it makes a great alternative to biscuits in a cheesecake.

Reactions: Sad21+ and Angela64

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree.
I think this may be a difference in perspective that occurs between people who take diabetes meds or insulin (@Angela64 and @plantae ) and T2s who manage on diet only (like the OP, yourself, and myself)
Indeed.

Putting aside the harm that even less severely elevated glucose levels can cause: a long extended, even if less high, rise is still stimulating insulin thus maintaining and increasing the hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance characteristic of most type 2 - the key underlying issues we are needing to address to regain true control. Unfortunately an aspect not given anywhere near enough attention by a very large % of drs or medical advice.

Not such a big concern for a type 1, a person underproducing insulin or someone happy to stick to the traditional medicated route (and it’s anticipated progressive path)

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes that is true, but I read that combining could help it not to peak so high. I don’t eat loads of it. Some recommend eating porridge ‍♀️ I suppose it checking to see what it does to you.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Agree.
I only have 1 Empagliflozin tablet.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
There is a brand of low carb granola type cereal sold online, called keto Hana. It’s very tasty, although a bit expensive. I like it with Greek yoghurt as I don’t drink milk.

whizzed up in a food processor it makes a great alternative to biscuits in a cheesecake
Thanks all. He doesnt have time for tea/coffee, literally bathroom, downstairs, weetabix while getting stuff into his bag & out the door!
So, whatever the alternative would be needs to be prepped & eaten within less than 5 mins or prepped the night before.
I've ordered a tester to see what weetabix does to his blood glucose, will test it at the weekend.
How about getting a T2 flask, it has its own strainer for tea leaves. I’ve got 2, one for coffee grains but I don’t drink to the end as some of the grains go through the holes. Doesn’t come with a cup though and can be a bit hot to drink straight from the flask.
I prepare the night before if I’m out early. I microwave scrambled eggs, so could prepare that the night before.

Reactions: Shahnaz2357

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yeah - my breakfast time has transformed since the advent of low-carb/keto 'no grain-ola's at the supermarket in my wee wet country. They are indeed expensive, but quite wonderful. (I have mine with greek yoghurt, or coconut milk, or cream.) At the same time stevia-sweetened marmalade came onto the supermarket shelves, also expensive compared to sugar sweetened, but not as sweet (yay), and gentle on the blood glucose, as in barely a rise. I bake my own low-carb breads, but there are even some tasty low-carb/keto bread varieties to be had at the supermarket these days - quite a choice now. These are changes that I have been delighted for.

Reactions: DavesHaughton

Cp30

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I used pot barley mixed with yoghurt, nuts, seeds and a low GI fruit. Keeps me full and no sugar crash after eating

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used pot barley mixed with yoghurt, nuts, seeds and a low GI fruit. Keeps me full and no sugar crash after eating
Pot barley isn't low carb at all. This might work for you, but many would spike high on such a breakfast.

• Agree
Reactions: AloeSvea

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about a sugar spike after eating though?

ceesisson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
My husband has type 2 and we are trying to follow a low-carb diet.
He starts work early in the morning and has very little time to have breakfast before he leaves the house, so cooking eggs, etc is not an option.
Currently, he has 2 weetabix with full fat milk. Is this ok? If not, what alternatives are there that don't involve either any prep or fruit (as he has plenty during the day).
Thanks.
I'm about to go to sleep so not had the chance to read the rest of the thread, try showing him anything Michael Mosley has written over the past few years, The Fast Diet, Fast 800, Keto800, blood sugar diet. He talks of time-restricted eating, if he can skip breakfast and focus on two healthy meals with no snacking every day, he has nothing to worry about. My breakfast is usually noon or one, I can go longer on occasion but my body now just lets me know when it's hungry and I learned to listen. Fasting has a lot of health benefits but a lot of the diabetic medical community are not all on board with this, despite this research having been ongoing for years!

Sad21+

Hi,
My husband has type 2 and we are trying to follow a low carb diet.
He starts work early in the morning and has very little time to have breakfast before he leaves the house, so cooking eggs,etc is not an option.
Currently he has 2 weetabix with full fat milk. Is this ok? If not, what alternatives are there that don't involve either any prep or fruit (as he has plenty during the day).
Thanks.
There's a keto/low carb cereal called surreal cereal. They sell it in Holland and Barrett.

Bcgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently zero carb but before that I would occasionally use the innofoods keto granola (Costco, Canada…but assume it’s everywhere). 8 total grams of carbs per 1/3 cup. I would put it in full fat Greek yogurt. When we travelled to India I brought a bag and it saved me from being very hungry….it’s pricey though.
now I eat burgers and butter form breakfast….amazing results for blood glucose, so happy!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a keto/low carb cereal called surreal cereal. They sell it in Holland and Barrett.
Checked this - it is really not keto and (IMO) not particularly low carb either, at 31.63g carb per 100g. 100g of that is a day and a half's worth of carbs for me.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that is true, but I read that combining could help it not to peak so high. I don’t eat loads of it. Some recommend eating porridge ‍♀️ I suppose it checking to see what it does to you.
Porridge is a carb, therefore it will turn to glucose. Many t2 diet controlled diabetics cannot tolerate porridge for this reason.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of interest, what is your glucose levels after consumption