Low carb cook book.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Does anyone have it ?
Iv just
Purchased it from the Diabetic shop, it was rather expensive, but it’s a really lovely book. Worth the money.
Iv already made cottage pie. It was lovely.
There are only carbs pr portion in the book and I’m trying to keep to 50 carbs.
Can anyone tell me if I should be counting the calories protein fat also ?
Iv worked out my macros, but if I only need to count carbs that would be fantastic.

Many thanks.
Wilber 123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many of us only consider carbs. Obviously that’s not a licence to eat to excess but you’ll probably find you simply don’t feel the urge to once off the carb roller coaster and eating more filling fats and proteins. If you struggle to achieve your weight loss goal then perhaps rethink this but til then I wouldn’t (and didn’t).

50 carbs a day I’m assuming? 50 a meal might not be low enough, for many it’s not but it is a reasonable place to start if you’re usually much higher and gradually lower them from there as you adjust.

as to which book there are a lot of low carb cookbooks out there so it depends which one ….

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as to which book there are a lot of low carb cookbooks out there so it depends which one ….
I was going to buy the The CSIRO Low Carb Diet books, but found a lot of carb replacement food recipes for free on line.

Still tempted to buy them at times though.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone have it ?
Iv just
Purchased it from the Diabetic shop, it was rather expensive, but it’s a really lovely book. Worth the money.
Iv already made cottage pie. It was lovely.
There are only carbs pr portion in the book and I’m trying to keep to 50 carbs.
Can anyone tell me if I should be counting the calories protein fat also ?
Iv worked out my macros, but if I only need to count carbs that would be fantastic.

Many thanks.
Wilber 123
Got it and you are right that it is pricey but I hope you get lots of use of it.
If I was trying to cut carbs I wouldn't suggest complicating matters by counting macros of fat and protein unless you find that the carb counting isn't enough to help you lose weight and lower bgs (if those were your goals).
The tee shirt slogan for this approach is something like Prioritise protein, fill up on fat and careful with carbs! I do not believe precision macros are required unless you need rapid results or are very insulin resistant (not if you are pre diabetic). Once you know what foods to dodge please don't sweat the above ground veggies or splash of milk in your tea/coffee etc....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Wilber123 The 50 gm a day max is one many people seem to find does the trick for them.
I was eating 50 gm a day whenever I could escape from the supervision of HCPs for many decades before diagnosis, and went back to it as soon as I was diagnosed - such a relief.
I decided to try to lower my Hba1c of 42 down into the 30s and so reduced carbs to no more than 40gm per day, for a whole year and when tested my Hba1c was - 42. Not all plans work out, but at least is seems possible to maintain remission year by year.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you all so much for your guidance.
So, I’m understanding that I don’t really need to do the macro thing, just keep the carbs to 50 or under as time goes bye.
That will make life simpler.
Many thanks to you all.
Kindest regards.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Iv just made the Bonofee pie.
I followed the book to the letter. It tasted really nice, the base was nuts that was good. but the middle did not set. It was rather runny.
The mix was butter stevia and Double cream. And salt. Surly there should be cream cheese in it. Has anyone else made this out of the Low carb cook book from the Diabetic shop.
Did it set?????