Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to try the Newcastle because I haven't, if that makes sense.
It's the only diet that has any claim to reverse, or at least put diabetes into remission.
I've reduced my calories, I've lost weight, and pushed my numbers down, but I want to see what happens if I push it further.
My totally unscientific 'chinese' experiment gave me numbers that weren't too fair into the diabetic range, considering the amount I crammed in.
I want to quantify it.
The other thing about the Newcastle is while it's low calorie, it's still a mainly carb diet, so although the load is off, and i will lose weight, I'll still be producing insulin, so maybe that's a factor?
So I want to do it correctly.
Wait until my next review, if the numbers are as good as all the previous ones, stop the meds, do the diet, check after 4 weeks, (I'm not sure I could do more, I'm not sure I have enough fat to lose), then do a GTT, and see where it goes.
Also, I have a few dive trips for October, so I don't want to change my diet before, and I don't want to Newcastle over Christmas.

I can understand the desire to drop any last weight you may be frustrated by. Accepting the frailty of BMI as a measure, but at 25 you probably have a couple of stones before the scale would consider you underweight. It depends how lean you choose to go, and how you feel and look at leaner weights.

What I really can't understand is what value and material information you expect to gather by undertaking a home GTT. Have you done these in the past? And what were your findings?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Douglas, read what Professor Taylor says about the research reasons for the very low calorie diet used in his trial ie to mimick what happens in weight loss surgery where diabetes 'remission' happens quickly.
The essential point is that substantial weight loss must be achieved. The time course of weight loss is much less important.
I interpret that as meaning that the diet itself is not a magic bullet merely a quick means to an end. He also says that gradual weight loss over five to six months is more likely to be successful in the long term and for that reason may be more effective in those that can achieve it.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2studyJune14.pdf
Isn't that exactly what you have been doing?

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the comments.

Just got back in, been a good day, learning how not to fall over on skis. (mostly)
Certainly skiing is an energetic sport, it was reckoned we used about 1500 calories this morning alone.
I have aches in my legs, knees, hips, and some areas I didn't know I has muscles in.
And a bruise on my backside that is going to huge when it comes out fully.

So, on the way to recreational standard, just a bit of work to exercise the knees and hips to make sure I can get the snowplough sorted, and stop a bit better.

Even better news, after a couple of hours on the slope, dinner was leek and potato soup, quite sweet, with a bread roll, and I went for the healthiest option, tuna sandwich, quite a hefty white seeded bread, tuna salad filling, small side salad, and tortilla chips. I left half the bread crusts.
Tested about 1 and 1/2 hours, to an hour later.
5.7, well chuffed.
(especially after the 5.6 start to the day)
Then back out for another hour and a half of exercise.

Now with my feet up, and I maybe be setting into a sitting position!

DSC_0620[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you enjoyed your day, I didn't learn to ski until I was 49, now I love it.
Once you stop having to go down the hill in a snow plough though, it becomes a bit less calorie intensive (but far more comfortable)

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Glad you enjoyed your day, I didn't learn to ski until I was 49, now I love it.
Once you stop having to go down the hill in a snow plough though, it becomes a bit less calorie intensive (but far more comfortable)

Not for the queue for the rope lift!
Sorry to them.

(I'm a few years older than 49, but it was another thing I've wanted to try)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
A muse on BS readings.

11.6 @ 19 30 after my evening meal,
washed my hands.

8.2 @ 21.05
washed my hands

Who knows what the real readings are if you scrub all the rubbish of your fingers, it could probably be even lower.

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Knowing others Won't learn from my mistakes, Being TERMINALLY ILL !
Due to my health at the moment, and my difficulty coping, I have not posted on the forum for quite sometime, and found a PM asking me to Read this thread, and to comment, this PM was a few weeks old, so I'm a bit behind the times,

Some of you will of read my threads, and will know my circumstances, Basically I'm Terminally Ill with Autonomic Neuropathy due to NEGLECT of my Diabetes over many years,

Now I don't advocate one treatment over another,

I DO. However advocate close monitering of your Diabetes. .... Why you ask, well go read my thread Terminal and Scared. in the Diabetes Complications, also read the shorter thread Terminal and Scared Update. in the same section, Then think WHY. I might believe in Testing, in looking after your Diabetes, your Diet, and your Excercise regime,

If you want to know the Consequences of not doing so, Go Back and read my threads Again, and now Change Places with me. !!!

See Sense, Stay Well,

Don't be me !

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Peeps

This thread is entitled "Low carb didn't work for me" but now seems to be all over the place and has lost its way. That is not helpful for people searching the forums. I am, therefore, going to close this thread. Those with unfinished business might want to start new and more appropriate threads.

As ever

Doug

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.