Low carb diet and constipation

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A teaspoonful of Lo Salt which is 33% sodium and 66% potassium works wonders. You need to be nimble on your feet!

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I’ve upped my intake of seeds to sort me out. I have a homemade LC chocolate granola (made from dessicated coconut and seeds sprinkled on SF jelly with cream as dessert every evening. Also a small portion of chia seed pudding as an afternoon snack every day.

I have to disagree. I think @hazelzac is taking sensible precautions. She is at more risk of type 2 having had gestational diabetes:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gestational-diabetes/
Yes she is as my niece was the same when pregnant and was told that she was more at risk of diabetes because of this. It is not set in stone, HazelZac is as you say is very sensible, besides not everybody who is on low carb or Keto a diabetic, so it will not do her any harm

Reactions: hazelzac and Rachox

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think leafy greens are pretty low carb- I lost a lot of weight eating kale and bok choi, cabbage and sauerkraut, and constipation is unthinkable if you eat such foods. Failing that, broccoli should be good too. Honestly, greens are great- very filling, very nutritious: Green vegetable with a piece of fish or meat is the best meal I know of!

Reactions: hazelzac

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think leafy greens are pretty low carb- I lost a lot of weight eating kale and bok choi, cabbage and sauerkraut, and constipation is unthinkable if you eat such foods. Failing that, broccoli should be good too. Honestly, greens are great- very filling, very nutritious: Green vegetable with a piece of fish or meat is the best meal I know of!
I will try this for sure , thanks

BloodThirsty

Hi friends , although I am not prediabetic officially as hba1c was 5.1 but after having 2 gestational diabetic pregnancies and raised post 2 hour ogtt I consider myself at high risk ,I started low carb high fat diet 4 months ago lost 10 kg and feeling wonderful.I really want to continue this diet but this constipation is driving me nuts .I have to take laxative once in a week at least. Laxatives are not good for long term use . Please help me and guide me I usually take about 20 g carbs in a day . I tried adding fiber supplement but they are not effective for me.
Should I increased my carbs?
Should I doubled fiber supplement?

After attaining normal weight I eat normally on weekends l don't count carbs on weekends.
I personally found resistant potato starch to be extremely effective and it is now part of my daily regimen. Alongside providing insoluble fibre and improving gut microbiota it demonstrably improves insulin sensitivity, thereby lowering blood glucose -
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1467-3010.2005.00481.x

Two level tablespoons with each morning and evening meal works wonders. Mix with one tablesoon of MCT oil and add double cream to personal consistency and give you and your ketones a pleasant boost.

However, no need to be tempted by the imported, expensive Bob's Red Mill. If you're in the UK Infinity Foods Organic Potato Starch can be obtained from G Baldwin & Co for around £6 per kilo.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Bread, long before I ever even got diagnosed as a T2, constipates me something awful. It wasn't until I stopped eating it, and then had it once a few months in, and as an experiment, trying it again a few weeks later, that I discovered that that was what had been plugging me up all my life. So that might be worth looking into as well, should bread factor into things on the weekends.
Jo
For myself, I'll add to breads: animal protein of almost any kind (meat, fowl, fish, cheese, yogurt even plain and simple milk+culture), peanut butter (who knew?), and chocolate and coffee to some extent.

@hazelzac I hope you figure things out-- I've had a few "opioid constipations" post-op, and it is utterly miserable, I know! Also a low-cal, low-fat diet in my late 20's. That resolved when I started eating more fat.