Low carb diet but HbA1C results worse

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We have had a few posters using the Mastering Diabetes method. So far I am not aware of any of them claiming success or posting a proper testrimonial. My wife invested in the Stephen Gundry diabetes course on my behalf, and it sent my sugars into space. so I am wary of some of the claims being made. I think that these plans may benefit insulin users, but oral / diet users may find it difficult to get good results.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks people for taking the time to reply and share. I am still trying to figure out what to do next. However, I have just been sent a gift voucher for afternoon tea by my daughter, so think I need to buy a glucose monitor before I go!
Getting a meter and feeding it is probably the best investment any of us makes.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 72 years old, but decided not to act it, not to accept higher numbers for anything but enjoyment, and since the start of Covid, not dying at all but going out with the Morris dancers and being up before dawn on Mayday to dance up the sun beside the apple trees in the garden, which might take the hint and blossom.
I have my top hat with ribbons and the green handkerchiefs ready and waiting.
After Covid 5 times and two Astra Zeneca jabs I just need to show a bit more determination these days - so far so good.
If you don't entertain 'getting old' then it might just get bored and wander off to bother someone else.

Reactions: Outlier

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
However, I have just been sent a gift voucher for afternoon tea by my daughter, so think I need to buy a glucose monitor before I go!
Go, enjoy the afternoon tea and treat it as your last ever. The results from your meter will probably make it so. I have great memories of one at the OXO Tower overlooking the Thames in London. Truly memorable and delightful, but I wouldn't ever eat that again.
And ask her next time for flowers, or a spa voucher, or gift voucher from some of the slow carb bakers, still treats just different ones.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ironny you have been living with your condition for some time I bet. Whilst we may advise what could be construed as being drastic action, I would say Enjoy your present. then buy the meter and start taking back control at a pace that suits you. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It needs planning and resolve, so do the research, see what others are doing and whether it is working for them, and then start your own journey.

ironny

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ironny you have been living with your condition for some time I bet. Whilst we may advise what could be construed as being drastic action, I would say Enjoy your present. then buy the meter and start taking back control at a pace that suits you. This is a marathon, not a sprint. It needs planning and resolve, so do the research, see what others are doing and whether it is working for them, and then start your own journey.
Thanks to both of you above and the support. I can see that there are other threads I can search to find similar experiences, such as 'pre-diabetes' 'low carb diet' and 'don't want to lose weight', to help me on my journey (and deal with the tea gift!)

• Hug
Reactions: Bludnok and Oldvatr

harlen

I'm astonished this thread has not picked up on the reason for this phenomenon!
As I understand it, on Low-Carb/Keto/Carnivore your red blood cells live longer.
But this positive effect shows up in a slight HbA1C rise.
However blood-glucose measurements are consistently lower.
I don't think I can post links but I'll try.
If not search on ketogenicforums.com "hba1c and glucose rise on keto"
See: