Low carb diet.....how many fat, carbs and protein

worldtraveller

I've been doing the low carb diet now for a few weeks. I'm getting the hang of it. Can anyone suggest a trustworthy site online that will calculate how much fat, carbs and protein I should have based on my present weight? I've found a couple of sites and they range from 1450 calories to 2200 calories a day. I realize that it would be impossible to tell me exactly, but going from 1450 to 2200 seems a bit outrageous. I've lost a few pounds, which I'm ok with, but my goal is not to loose, but to maintain my weight, be healthy and have a lower AC1 on my next check. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: hazelzac

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you keeping an accurate food diary? I'd be more tempted to follow that for your own personal non -weight loss plan rather than some online site that will simply use dodgy calculations to tell you what to eat.
I've found its far more about what I eat than the "caloric value"of my food that determines if the pounds come off or not.

andromache

I've been doing the low carb diet now for a few weeks. I'm getting the hang of it. Can anyone suggest a trustworthy site online that will calculate how much fat, carbs and protein I should have based on my present weight? I've found a couple of sites and they range from 1450 calories to 2200 calories a day. I realize that it would be impossible to tell me exactly, but going from 1450 to 2200 seems a bit outrageous. I've lost a few pounds, which I'm ok with, but my goal is not to loose, but to maintain my weight, be healthy and have a lower AC1 on my next check. Thanks in advance.
MyFitnessPal is free and OK. Put in your weight, say you want to keep it constant, it will give you a number of calories. What I will say is that it assumes a 'Standard American Diet' level of carbs, which is not what you want, obviously, but you can adjust that manually to meet your personal carb aims and then adjust your fat amount/proportion accordingly. The other thing I have found is that it assumes that 2250 cal of low carb/high fat has the same effect on body weight as 2250 cal of Standard American Diet, which certainly isn't my experience. So it keeps telling me that I am going to put on half a stone in a month, eating at the rate I do, which I definitely don't! Like you, I'm trying to stay stable or even put on a few pounds.

andromache

MyFitnessPal is free and OK. Put in your weight, say you want to keep it constant, it will give you a number of calories. What I will say is that it assumes a 'Standard American Diet' level of carbs, which is not what you want, obviously, but you can adjust that manually to meet your personal carb aims and then adjust your fat amount/proportion accordingly. The other thing I have found is that it assumes that 2250 cal of low carb/high fat has the same effect on body weight as 2250 cal of Standard American Diet, which certainly isn't my experience. So it keeps telling me that I am going to put on half a stone in a month, eating at the rate I do, which I definitely don't! Like you, I'm trying to stay stable or even put on a few pounds.
Meant to end by warning that you might, like me, struggle to keep weight on, eating low carb/high fat. And I'm not low carb by any means - low-to-moderate, really - but still really struggle to keep my weight up despite eating like a king. It's definitely doing good things for the HbA1C, though, no question, and I feel so much better too.

Reactions: Debandez

worldtraveller

I just checked out MyFitnessPal. I was aiming for 1500 calories, as what MyFitnessPal has. That works out fine. I'm also going very low carb for now. I am trying to go extra low carb to get my A1C down. I have another 45 days to go before my next test. I'm now getting into the routine of low carbs and high protein and I'm not so much stressed out about it anymore. I also lost some weight, but not so much that I'm concerned about it. Thanks for the help.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just checked out MyFitnessPal. I was aiming for 1500 calories, as what MyFitnessPal has. That works out fine. I'm also going very low carb for now. I am trying to go extra low carb to get my A1C down. I have another 45 days to go before my next test. I'm now getting into the routine of low carbs and high protein and I'm not so much stressed out about it anymore. I also lost some weight, but not so much that I'm concerned about it. Thanks for the help.

Hello again. It's great that things seem to be falling into place for you a bit now. My only comment would be to ask you to consider not "doing stuff for your HbA1c". Why do that? It's a one off test.

The test result surely doesn't matter if you have manipulated it and eat and behave differently the rest of the time? Make changes you can stick with, and just keep doing.