Low-carb diet in type 1 diabetes provides safer and more stable blood sugar levels

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
What a pity that there is no link to the studies mentioned in this sentence:

Longer studies than this one have reached the same conclusion, that restricting carbohydrate intake improves blood sugar management and a host of other factors for people with diabetes.

Here's one posted here on dcouk only a couple months ago:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2017...tes-control,-suggests-new-study-92546876.html

Note that they don't recommend "moderate carb diets" but actually low-carb like 30g or less for maximal effect.

All kinds of other direct / indirect benefits from low-carb too, including reduced chance of heart disease, irritability, etc. I've seen similar studies and meta-studies for many years now, which is why I started down this path. I never do anything without at least some scientific rationale for it. (and if I override best practices, I don't delude myself into believing it's the ideal choice either. What use is there to lie to onesself? It just hurts you in the end and fools no one).

I'm not saying one size fits all in terms of diabetes-friendly diet, but I do think one size fits most.

And to me, that forms a rational basis from which to offer generic advice. Which is the exact conclusion offered by these researchers though their meta-study analysis.

The main exceptions to LCHF I think would be medical reasons, or philosophical (being vegan), or perhaps high-intensity athletes who can't get enough short-burst energy from fat-based / keto diets.

But the latter is a deliberate choice, and will likely have consequences too. Although extreme athletes likely have trainers and dietitians could do well that way, but as soon as your caloric output decreases then control should suffer immensely. Lean muscle is well known to be more sensitive to insulin so less would be needed, but it can cause hypos to be more severe too (trust me, I lived through this bitter realization for many years, being rewarded for running with a slap on the face and a punch in the gut for the temerity of using the same insulin-to-carb ratio on running days as non-running days, which I've found can vary greatly).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kristin251