1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb diet

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Manno, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Manno

Manno · Newbie

Hi,

So after over 30yrs of being diabetic and being led down the path of you should be eating a high carb diet, I’ve now decided to try a low carb diet in the hope of getting better control. Any suggestions on a easy low carb diet?

2. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No pasta, rice, grains, potatoes, "real food" lots of green leafy veg, protein and enough fat so you're not hungry. Limited fruit (berries are best)

3. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have a look at dietdoctor.com.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi @Manno , dietdoctor is a great resource. but if you fancy something you can hold onto and refer back to forever, the Low Carb Kickstarter is a nice publication, with some fab ideas.

You can find it here: https://shop.diabetes.co.uk/collect...cts/low-carb-kickstarter?utm_source=SlideShow

5. Aremjay

Aremjay · Newbie

I just keep to a very simple diet for six days and then one day a week is our special meal day where I don’t count carbs.
    My diet consists of protein (in any form) my normal is steak/chop/fish/prawns/chicken/lamb/pork plus a large salad or a plate of vegetable mainly green. So kale, spinach, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower or onion/tomato/peppers fried up.
    Sounds boring but I enjoy these meals better than any keto recipe. I cut out fruit any carbs above 16g a day.
    I lost 20kg over six months aiming to get down to 85kgs but stuck at 100kg for the last few. My insulin in now only Metformin whereas it was Metformin and insulin injections 4x day. My blood glucose is now under 7mmol all day. I measure 2hrs after a meal and on waking. I bought keto books but found measuring quantities myself easier to keep the carbs down. I now know what 100g of cabbage looks like, lol.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook