Low Carb diet

Fay50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve almost completed week 3 and although I’m managing ok. I’ve noticed over the last 10 days that I’m getting constipated. Eating plenty of fruit and trying different veg. As well as drinking lots of water. I’m putting weight on! Not losing it. Any ideas please

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’ve almost completed week 3 and although I’m managing ok. I’ve noticed over the last 10 days that I’m getting constipated. Eating plenty of fruit and trying different veg. As well as drinking lots of water. I’m putting weight on! Not losing it. Any ideas please
Hi and welcome to the forums. Two thoughts from me
1) How low is your low carb diet? Most fruit has a lot of carbs in it....
2) Could you be overdoing the calories? While many people lose weight on a low carb diet some people do manage to gain weight if they eat enough fat and protein (eg cheese, glorious cheese)

Hopefully some T2s will come along soon with more suggestions.

Once more, welcome.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are constipated then the weight increase is inevitable.. food in, no food out has to lead to weight gain.

Have you tried adding some extra salt to food and drinks?
I put it in coffee for example?
Upping your fat consumption to "move things along"

Or maybe try a magnesium supplement.. I believe mag bisglycinate is thought to be the best for shifting stubborn poo.

Plenty of fruit and veg might not help that much.. as Dr Paul Mason said adding more cars to a traffic jam rarely helps to clear it.

• Informative
Reactions: Fay50 and EllieM
D

Deleted member 567281

Weight loss may not happen within the first few weeks. Our bodies stubbornly hold onto weight for a while, but if you persevere, it will fall off eventually! Ease up on the fruit and go for more veggies. However, too much fibre can cause constipation, so introduce it gradually with lots of liquid at the same time. It's also a good idea to top up your gut-friendly bacteria - kefir is a good source. Don't take laxatives (unless absolutely necessary) - as they kill off your gut bacteria. Glycerine/Glycerol suppositories will help short term. Good tip with the magnesium bisglycinate above as well, which also helps balancing blood sugars, so double benefits (but do ask your doctor first if you're on medication!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fay50 and filly

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a daily tablespoon of milled seeds, in full fat (ie not low fat) plain greek yoghurt with 6-8 raspberries does the trick, and works well as a low carb breakfast. You may need to as high as 3 tablespoons, but once things start working, decrease the amount again.

I've been trying to skip breakfast lately and notice an increase in constipation. I must find a way to reincorporate seeds into my regular diet. They work well for me.

Reactions: Fay50

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have milled flaxseed to aid the movement through my system, but I limit my fruit to a few berries, lemons/limes or rhubarb.
I do add home-dried cranberries to low carn spice cake but I make that just 3-4 times a year. And I make a no added sugar marmalade to have with low-carb bread, usually 90s bread made with ground almonds.
My main problem is not always drinking enough but when I realise I try to add extra fluid such as soup or yoghurt.

Reactions: Fay50

andyR57

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Apologises in advance if this is a daft question but do I assume on a low fat diet there is no upper limit for fat intake. I am prediabetic and apart from fasting readings my 2 hour after eating readings are always below 7.8. I have started a lowish carb reduction from about 250g to 125g a day but struggling to get calories because my Doctor said not to exceed 60g fat a day due to the fact I have very high Triglycerides [this is why I have gone low carb - this or statins!]. I have designed a menu for 4 weeks which meets the 125g carb and 60g fat every day but the highest daily calories I am having in the 4 weeks is 1300. I started at 13 stone and already lost 7Lb in 10 days so need to start adding more calories somehow and fairly quick - but how? If my weight keeps falling I am going to have to go back on more carbs or increase the fat to over 100g a day but fear that will increase my triglyceride levels. Just feels a bit hopeless to be honest.. Any advise would be gratefully received. Thanks.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Apologises in advance if this is a daft question but do I assume on a low fat diet there is no upper limit for fat intake. I am prediabetic and apart from fasting readings my 2 hour after eating readings are always below 7.8. I have started a lowish carb reduction from about 250g to 125g a day but struggling to get calories because my Doctor said not to exceed 60g fat a day due to the fact I have very high Triglycerides [this is why I have gone low carb - this or statins!]. I have designed a menu for 4 weeks which meets the 125g carb and 60g fat every day but the highest daily calories I am having in the 4 weeks is 1300. I started at 13 stone and already lost 7Lb in 10 days so need to start adding more calories somehow and fairly quick - but how? If my weight keeps falling I am going to have to go back on more carbs or increase the fat to over 100g a day but fear that will increase my triglyceride levels. Just feels a bit hopeless to be honest.. Any advise would be gratefully received. Thanks.
Almost all of us find trigs falls on low carb and keto, even with much higher fat levels that yours is right now. HDL almost also increases as desired. LDL is the more variable bit. You could try lower carb higher fat and ask for a repeat test in a few month. Remember weight loss by ANY method can cause a rise in levels so best wait til weight is stable and also remember to fast whatever they tell you so you are messing the results up with whatever you have for breakfast

I very strongly suggest you read around cholestero, outcomes and diet before restricting your choices. This page summarises it and has links to more research. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics. There is a huge thread about cholesterol started by bulkbiker you can search on here too with a massive list of studies contained within it. I’m quite sure anyone that can absorb all the info in there deserves a phd in cholesterol

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Concentrate on now, no need to worry about the future. First lose the weight, then adjust.
You might find your plan isn't sustainable as without fat you might feel too hungry too often.
One step at a time

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctor said not to exceed 60g fat a day due to the fact I have very high Triglycerides [this is why I have gone low carb - this or statins!]. I have designed a menu for 4 weeks which meets the 125g carb and 60g fat every day but the highest daily calories I am having in the 4 weeks is 1300. I started at 13 stone and already lost 7Lb in 10 days so need to start adding more calories somehow and fairly quick - but how? If my weight keeps falling I am going to have to go back on more carbs or increase the fat to over 100g a day but fear that will increase my triglyceride levels.
I can't predict what you triglycerides will do if you up the fats, but this is what mine did after lowering the carbs and upping the fats.
I have no idea how much fat I eat but I do not skimp on butter, mayo or pork scratchings.
I've only used statins for some two months at the very start of this graph, when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

1676061867905.png

Reactions: samcham and Mel108