Low Carb Diets Dangerous

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The details of these studies have to be made available, such as the foods people who were so called low carbing consumed. I believe the study that stated low carbing was dangerous had carbs at 37% of input, which equates to around 200 grams of carbs. I class this as fraudulent reporting

Common sense tells me the facts will fall apart quicker than a cheap suit for this latest study. 2 days ago I watched a James Martin food show, where members of the public sent in meals they were cooking. I took a screen shot of the below as this was literally exactly a breakfast I used to have at the weekend (spookily the same except I used red instead of brown sauce):

James Martin.JPG

So we have:
A glass of orange juice
Potato waffles

2 Fried (maybe poached eggs)
Mushrooms
Baked beans
Sausages
Tomatoes

The items in bold contributed towards my Type 2 diagnosis. I would like to ask the authors if I re-introduced the bold items now, would my health improve or decline, would my insulin and glucose increase. Essentially these people are making a case that higher carbs are healthier by a significant factor - rubbish.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the interests of fairness I feel it necessary to point out that both the authors in the first two links are reknowned and strong proponents / users of Low Carb lifestyles, and these articles need to be read with an eye open to the possibility of their own agendas creeping into their arguments. However, as an engineer with a scientific background, I agree wholeheartedly with their appraisal and critiques of the study methodologies and biasses. It is what I found in them too. And I like the way they put it across in these articles.

I also have to point out that as a low carber myself I too have a coloured view of the subject, so am not independant of bias myself.

There are some interesting links in both these articles that I will look at as well.

In conclusion I recommend this statement to the house.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
After reading that article I'm glad that I make my own bread, freeze it and then don't eat it myself.