Low Carb Diets Dangerous

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read the lancet article and am trying to understand the findings. Are they saying:

1. Low carb diet with plant based protein/fats is better than a medium carb diet
or
2. Low carb diet with plant based protein/fats is worse than medium carb diet but just not as bad as low carb with animal fat/protein ?

(I follow low carb meditteranean rather than LCHF. )

Walter Willet/Frank Hu from Harvard TH Chan School of public health has long been a proponent and is bias towards plant based meditteranean diet. Irregardless of how biomarkers may improve on ketogenic diets.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets/

upload_2018-8-17_21-48-41.png

But then again anyone on 30-40% carbs intake is unlikely to reap the metabolic advantages of being in nutritional ketosis. That is an obvious point that don't seems important to the researchers. So to call 30-40% carbs intake as a low carb lifestyle seems rather misleading...if not mischievious.

There is really no magic. Those of us with metabolic dysfunction simply cannot handle the glycemic/insulin load of chronic moderate (>30%) to high carbs (>70%) diet. Complications due to high glucose/insulin will set in.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Taken from the report:
"The plant-based low carbohydrate diet had more servings per day of nuts, peanut butter, dark or grain breads, chocolate, and white bread than did higher carbohydrate diets "
"increased consumption of plant-based protein and fat instead of carbohydrate was associated with a significant decrease in all-cause mortality"

So if I continue with my low carb plant based diet - but increase the amount of chocolate and peanut butter and WHITE BREAD!! :banghead: I will live longer - just wont have my eyesight or feet!

mmmmm - dont think so! I will trust my own personal health records - lower carb = lower blood glucose levels

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll sure miss you. :(
Oh wait...according to that study I won't be here either. :wideyed: It's going to be a very small forum tomorrow isn't it? :hilarious:
We can have the forum in the sky, just think all that "cloud bread":D

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found this little tidbit re: the difference between The Lancet and The Lancet Public Health

"The Lancet is one of the most respected journals around. So respected and peer reviewer that only 5% of the studies submitted are published. They have a ton of respect. Those that read it take it as true.

This story is from, The Lamcet Public Health, which is owned by the same company as above. May published reports that are seen in The Lancet. But, the big difference is, this one also allows open sourced articles. As long as it is relevant and meets some guidelines The Lancet Public Health will publish what The Lancet will not. The media uses AI and scrapes for stories from here or credible outlets like Lancet and then rehash that as news. The only way this story is credible is if it was on The Lancet. Since it is not it is open source opinion piece.

I have been on Keto for 4 years. In those years I have lost over 165 pounds. I have gone from a person who could not have surgery or take pain pills for his health issues, a person with all the signs of pre diabetes, a person with Fatty Liver Disease that the GI said was gonna kill me to a person who can ride a bike for three hours, and person who is no longer diabetic, no longer dealing with liver issues. I was just tested for pre-op and they said I have a healthy body that is 99.6% likely to survive a surgery. I gotta trust my mirror, my scale, my Doctors that cheer me on, and the labs. Keto is a great life and has given me life.

TLDR; The Lancet is as legit as they come. They only publish 5% of what they get. They formed The Lancet Public Health so people that do reviews that may not be Lancet quality have a home. The hope is the secondary site is seen as credible by using the name. Content is open sourced. This piece originated in The Lancet Public Health."

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/982lm6/rant_articles_like_this_drive_me_crazy/

Reactions: Prem51 and Robin101

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found this little tidbit re: the difference between The Lancet and The Lancet Public Health

"The Lancet is one of the most respected journals around. So respected and peer reviewer that only 5% of the studies submitted are published. They have a ton of respect. Those that read it take it as true.

This story is from, The Lamcet Public Health, which is owned by the same company as above. May published reports that are seen in The Lancet. But, the big difference is, this one also allows open sourced articles. As long as it is relevant and meets some guidelines The Lancet Public Health will publish what The Lancet will not. The media uses AI and scrapes for stories from here or credible outlets like Lancet and then rehash that as news. The only way this story is credible is if it was on The Lancet. Since it is not it is open source opinion piece.

I have been on Keto for 4 years. In those years I have lost over 165 pounds. I have gone from a person who could not have surgery or take pain pills for his health issues, a person with all the signs of pre diabetes, a person with Fatty Liver Disease that the GI said was gonna kill me to a person who can ride a bike for three hours, and person who is no longer diabetic, no longer dealing with liver issues. I was just tested for pre-op and they said I have a healthy body that is 99.6% likely to survive a surgery. I gotta trust my mirror, my scale, my Doctors that cheer me on, and the labs. Keto is a great life and has given me life.

TLDR; The Lancet is as legit as they come. They only publish 5% of what they get. They formed The Lancet Public Health so people that do reviews that may not be Lancet quality have a home. The hope is the secondary site is seen as credible by using the name. Content is open sourced. This piece originated in The Lancet Public Health."

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/982lm6/rant_articles_like_this_drive_me_crazy/
Agree
https://www.journals.elsevier.com/the-lancet-public-health/
This is Elsevier who do indeed have a poor reputation for their publications.
There is an interesting entry in wikipedia about Elsevier

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45195474

Taking out food group is not beneficial...so stop taking out the animal fats...

However, there are limitations to the study.

The findings show observational associations rather than cause-and-effect and what people ate was based on self-reported data, which might not be accurate.

And the authors acknowledge that since diets were measured only at the start of the trial and six years later, dietary patterns could have changed over the subsequent 19 years.

And they proclaim their absurd conclusion with such absolute certainty based on 2 data points over 25 years...such brilliance...

Last edited:

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Reactions: Concordjan

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Angela Stanton Rocks!

The sad thing is that she is right, people see 'researchers say' and then see that boffins in this country agree and make no changes be they non Diabetic or not. It goes beyond neglect and enters the realm of falsehood.

Yes my sisters forwarded me the links in the local news...as it is a global attack on low carb :D, concerned that I will have a shortened life...

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'll sure miss you. :(
Oh wait...according to that study I won't be here either. :wideyed: It's going to be a very small forum tomorrow isn't it? :hilarious:
Can we have white bread sandwiches, sausage rolls and beer at your wake so the rest of us live longer? :)

Reactions: Concordjan

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Reading through these posts it’s reassuring that lchf is still the way to go, as I know from experience; but I must admit to being upset by the radio 2 news headlines yesterday ‘a low carb diet shortens your life expectancy by 4 years’. I already find a lot of my friends and family fail to really understand why I eat like I do and this sort of statement on the BBC doesn’t help!

Reactions: DJC3