low carb drinks

Jo123

I used to be able to get low carb drinks from Tesco's which were very low carb and only 99p and they were very handy for a quick lunch if I was going anywhere where it would be difficult to low carb. They filled me up as well! And they have stopped doing them :x
Does anyone know any similar drink available at a reasonable price, I know I could make my own but I like the convenience of the pre packed ones.

Luiseach

Dislikes
Spiders and Miley Cyrus
I'm guessing non-alcoholic drinks? :p Sorry, I'm not much help here, my first suggestion would be water...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'd say water too. It's totally carb free. Lidl's are selling those Fruit Shoot things at the moment, £1or £1.50 for a 6-pack I think. I loathe them. I did try and gave them away to a toddler group.
Hana

Spiral

You don't get much lower in carb than water or a nice cup of (black) tea.

However, if you are looking for meal replacement drinks I have a few low carb (under 6) high protien drinks that I make as snacks or breakfast on the hoof.

150ml soya milk
1 scoop protien powder
55g silken tofu
2 tablespoons double or soya cream
sweetener of your choice to taste

whizz all this up together in a blender or with a stick blender

you can flavur this will all kinds of stuff
frappuccino - teaspooon instant coffee and a couple of drops of vanilla essence
strawberries and cream
lemon cheesecake - lemon zest, lemon flavouring, squeeze of lemon juice (best made wit all soya products)
chocolate and peanut butter
the list is endless

the total number of carbs varies with what you put in it, but the basic mix is less than 2 carbs

I tend to put this in to an insualted mug or a plastic beaker with a screw-top. You can make it the night before and just shake it well before you drink it.

Jo123

Thanks all for your help. It is a meal replacement that I am after.

Spiral thanks your recipe is good and I have copied it. But what I am after is a carton of premixed drinks for the convenience, to be able to use if I am away for a weekend or something.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Jo.

Had me confused too !!

What sort of drinks ? Savoury, sweet. Hot /Cold. I think you need to be a bit more specific ?
Cuppa-Soups are only around 15-19g carbs per serving if you have access to boiling water.

Jo123

The ones I used to buy from tescos, were designed to be meal replacements, they came in strawberry or chocolate flavours, they were very low carb from memory about 2.5 carbs and they had about 200 calories and they only cost 99p! They were like a milk shake and although a little too over artificially sweetened made a reasonable lunch and filled me up till dinner.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Are we talking about things like Slimfast etc. I know the normal ones were very high in carbs ?
They do low carb versions but not sure if that is what you want ? If you had the actual name of the product you had it might help in finding something, either elsewhere or something similar ?

Jo123

Yes it was similar to Slimfast only it was a low carb version. It was Tesco's own make which made it more attractive as it was only 99p!

tracey72

you should look in holland & barrats.they have a tub of low carb protein powder which is really easy to mix with water when you are on the go.it's their own brand.it usually cost anout £24.00 but they have it for half price alot of the time.i mix it like a pudding (just add a bit off water to it) & mix non sugar peanut butter in it.it makes a great tasting chocolate pudding.

hope this helps

cugila

Master
Dislikes
tracey72 said:
you should look in holland & barrats.they have a tub of low carb protein powder which is really easy to mix with water when you are on the go.it's their own brand.it usually cost anout £24.00 but they have it for half price alot of the time.i mix it like a pudding (just add a bit off water to it) & mix non sugar peanut butter in it.it makes a great tasting chocolate pudding.

hope this helps

What is the actual name of this stuff ? The website doesn't give any nutritional information at all ?
No ingredients. Do you have that iinformation please.

tracey72

its body fortress whey protein

protein;17.4g
carbs;1.6g
fats;2.1g

per 1 scoop mixed with 1/2 cup of water.i haveused it for many years while bodybuilding.its the only whey that doesnt give me a migraine.

look at the "scivation" web site.its a bodybuilding web site.if you look in the down loads they have a book called CHA-carb haters anon.its a diet with hardly any carbs in it.it is extream though

hope this helps

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Finally tracked down the Nutrition information from another website. :!:
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition- ... hich=carbs

BODY FORTRESS WHEY PROTEIN
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33g)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amount per Serving
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calories 105 Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Cholesterol 45mg 15%
Sodium 50mg 2%
Potassium 240mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 1g
Protein 26g 52%
Calcium 8%
Iron 0.6%
Magnesium 6%
Zinc 1%
Copper 4%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 17.1% Carbs 11.4%
Protein 99.0%

It is low carbs but not as low as you posted, unless you were using a much smaller scoop than the one quoted. Thanks for your help Tracey. :D

Jo123

Thanks everyone for your help, lots of links, I like the look of the slimfast low carb drinks from Sue's links they come in vanilla flavour which sounds yummy.

tracey72

cugila said:
Finally tracked down the Nutrition information from another website. :!:
http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/whey-protein/body-fortress?which=carbs

BODY FORTRESS WHEY PROTEIN
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33g)
Amount per Serving
Calories 105 Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2g 3%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Cholesterol 45mg 15%
Sodium 50mg 2%
Potassium 240mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Sugars 1g
Protein 26g 52%
Calcium 8%
Iron 0.6%
Magnesium 6%
Zinc 1%
Copper 4%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 17.1% Carbs 11.4%
Protein 99.0%

It is low carbs but not as low as you posted, unless you were using a much smaller scoop than the one quoted. Thanks for your help Tracey. :D

1.6g per 1 scoop was what was printed on the vanila whey tub

mikey

I use body fortress whey protein for a meal replacement.
I make it with a 10% fat Greek style yogurt from Lidl (cheap and tasty)
1 Scoop of protein powder and some berries.
I use strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or a mixture of whatever we happen to have in the house.
I just chuck the lot in the blender and away I go.
It's a quick way of making breakfast or taking a lunch to work.
OK you still have to make it yourself, but you know what's in it and it tastes great.
It doesn't spike my BG much either.
I think I'll give Spiral's recipe a go next week!

Regards,
Mike.