Low Carb- How do I start

sueky01

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
been cold!!!
I wish to start LCHF but with so much information I am unclear how to start. Any ideas would be appreciated.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stop eating Potatoes, Bread, Rice, Pasta and any other unnecessary Carbs.

After that it's easy.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
read this..
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
and read all the threads on here about LCHF..(warning there are lots)
But yes stop eating carbs as much as possible and see if it works for you.
You should probably also get a meter to test your blood sugar regularly to see which foods cause your sugars to spike in order to avoid eating them.
A lot of us use the SD Codefree from Home Health because the consumables are far more reasonably priced than most.
This forum contains a huge amount of info and we are always around to answer questions. Even if you think they're daft we have probably asked them ourselves or been asked them before.
Happy reading
Regards
Mark

Reactions: 2 people

SusanKershaw

read this..
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
and read all the threads on here about LCHF..(warning there are lots)
But yes stop eating carbs as much as possible and see if it works for you.
You should probably also get a meter to test your blood sugar regularly to see which foods cause your sugars to spike in order to avoid eating them.
A lot of us use the SD Codefree from Home Health because the consumables are far more reasonably priced than most.
This forum contains a huge amount of info and we are always around to answer questions. Even if you think they're daft we have probably asked them ourselves or been asked them before.
Happy reading
Regards
Mark
Thanks Mark I am on it

plantagenet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish to start LCHF but with so much information I am unclear how to start. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Also have a look at the Low carb Program. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/sign-in.php It takes you through the whole process of understanding the impact of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels and gives you a good basis for managing your T2. It worked for me and a whole lot of others on the forum. Good luck with your journey, there are plenty of people who will be only too willing to help.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree completely with everything @bulkbiker says - I started with Diet Doctor, supplemented with forum info and managed to get to grips with LCHF.

One of the forum sections on here has recipes and 'what people have eaten' posts, I find those helpful.

My personal advice would focus on eating good food first i.e don't stress to find substitutes (like cauliflower rice etc), just focus on LCHF staples. Meat, veg from above the ground, cheese, nuts, avocado etc.

After a while, when you feel more relaxed, you can explore more and do baking with xylitol (sugar substitute), make the cauli rice etc.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
If you follow the essence of what people have summarised above, I know from personal experience that the impact will be meaningful and visible. I did exactly this just 7 weeks ago and my life has been transformed:) Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

sueky01

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
been cold!!!
If you follow the essence of what people have summarised above, I know from personal experience that the impact will be meaningful and visible. I did exactly this just 7 weeks ago and my life has been transformed:) Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app
Thanks Kevin

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's more or less as simple as it's low carb high(er) fat name: you reduce your consumption of high carbohydrate foods, replace them with low carb veggies, etc, and include more healthy fats and oils instead for energy.

Just follow the advice you've already been given here, and if you do it properly it's a great healthy and balanced way of eating, and you'll be better for it.

Enjoy!

Robbity