low carb = increased Triglycerides what can be done naturally ?

fendertele

So low carb helps balance my BS levels and i'm able to get back within normal levels however on the flipside my Trigs go up and up while going low carb and as a lovely side effect I also get more and more spider veins appearing on my face and nose.

Been reading that high triglycerides can lead to NAFLD.. etc...

The spider veins began to appear once I shifted to Low carb anyone else had a similar issue ?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So low carb helps balance my BS levels and i'm able to get back within normal levels however on the flipside my Trigs go up and up while going low carb and as a lovely side effect I also get more and more spider veins appearing on my face and nose.

Been reading that high triglycerides can lead to NAFLD.. etc...

The spider veins began to appear once I shifted to Low carb anyone else had a similar issue ?
Just checking you do mean trigs not total cholesterol ? From my reading trigs almost always fall, hdl usually rises and ldl is variable. What’s your weight doing during this? Weight loss by any method can cause a temporary rise in cholesterol. Can’t help with spider veins as I’ve not heard of that as a side effect

• Agree
Reactions: Goonergal

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you fast for the blood test? Trigs can be affected by food eaten recently, especially a fatty meal.

fendertele

Yeah fasted they have been creeping up since the initial diabetes test, the following two tests since going low carb have confirmed they keep increasing and they noted elevated liver enzymes.

On top of this my face has began to show lots of spider veins.. that were not there previously...

10 hours fasted before blood tests.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spider veins seem to be related to blood pressure. Are you on any vasodilator meds? Or a Blood Pressure med that works that way, such as an ACE or ARB med or Lisinopril? Some heart meds do this too such as Entresto and Bisopronol.
https://delawareadvancedveincenter.com/blog/how-to-treat-spider-veins-on-your-face/

Most of the anecdotal evidence I have seen on this site shows reports of trigs reducing not increasing when low carbing. This may indicate another problem is showing, especially with liver enzymes increasing, However, liver enzymes can also increase as a direct result of taking statins.

I presume it is the ALT from the standard liver function test. A high ALT may be due to NAFLD which is a condition that many T2D suffer from, but an LC diet would normally clear this up again from anecdotal evidence here.

Drfarxan

Go keto it will wipe the trigliseride clean cause youll be using it for energy. I shift from strict keto and just low carb from time to time. When i do keto my trigliserid drop to 37(lowest) my hdl goes up into 60s. My LDL is always alittle hight though

fendertele

Spider veins seem to be related to blood pressure. Are you on any vasodilator meds? Or a Blood Pressure med that works that way, such as an ACE or ARB med or Lisinopril? Some heart meds do this too such as Entresto and Bisopronol.
https://delawareadvancedveincenter.com/blog/how-to-treat-spider-veins-on-your-face/

Most of the anecdotal evidence I have seen on this site shows reports of trigs reducing not increasing when low carbing. This may indicate another problem is showing, especially with liver enzymes increasing, However, liver enzymes can also increase as a direct result of taking statins.

I presume it is the ALT from the standard liver function test. A high ALT may be due to NAFLD which is a condition that many T2D suffer from, but an LC diet would normally clear this up again from anecdotal evidence here.
No but I think i'm salt sensitive as they are most prominent after eating a salty meal and I've had issues with water retention for as long i know, so either salt sensitive or low potassium would be my guess.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If water retention is a normal problem for you, then maybe consider a diuretic. You can get potassium sparing ones that can help on the low potassium issue. Not a natural remedy, but close, and at least you can choose a potassium friendly one if that would help. There are natural diuretics (coffee, tea etc) but they are not noted for their effect on the electroytes. Your blood test results should confirm if you need to protect your potassium.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My Trigs went down on low carb - when I was eating under 85g a day.
Maybe post a typical day's food and your carbs and the BS results?

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster