Low carb & insulin sensitivity / carb tolerance

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't want to drag this off-topic, so all I'll suggest is that there seem to be reasons to be sceptical of Lundell's claims and there are studies that show that Low-Carb can actually improve inflammation.
Im confused, i guess that is what he is saying, low-carb reduces the inflammation or sugar/metabolic disorder increases it.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im confused, i guess that is what he is saying, low-carb reduces the inflammation or sugar/metabolic disorder increases it.
Ah, I thought you were saying the opposite. So I was confused as well. No worries.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Last year I considered paying for an extended OGTT with both glucose and insulin readings with the view to assessing my insulin resistance. ( from memory it might have been labelled the Kraft protocol but maybe I’m mixing stuff up here) Unfortunately finances prevented me doing so but that protocol had until that point involved a 3 day carb up to avoid the adaptive glucose sparing suggested in this report. They had just increased that to a week as there was some suggestion 3 days wasn’t enough. I can’t find the reasoning behind this right now but maybe this rings some bells for others.

We really need some decent studies on long term benefits and any problems (ie pathological not physiological adaptation) from this way of managing type 2.
Hello you can get an idea of your insulin resistance by using the logarithm method. Simple lab numbers . TyG .. Natural log is found by using online calculator.
The TyG equation is: ln = Log natural Multiply the two lab readings, then get the natural log of the answer, then divide by 2.
e.g Get the natural log of the result of this equation, then divide it by 2 and hope to be below cutoff of 4.49 .
TyG =
ln [Fasting triglyceride (mg / dl) x Fasting glucose (mg / dl)] / 2

NB lastly divided by 2 is important !

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
This is a very recent and interesting study on how low-carb affects your insulin secretion, sensitivity and affects your carbohydrate tolerance. Thought would be helpful to understand for those who are on low-carb. Also points out how a high-carb or OGTT test will affect in even non-diabetics who are on low-carb.

https://academic.oup.com/jes/article/5/5/bvab049/6199842
Thank you for that link. Is it not shocking that the experts forget their own topic so quickly ? I am only an amateur detective but very soon I found on the internet, while researching post prandial glucose levels, that the OGTT for Pregnancy Diabetes had to be preceded by adequate carbohydrate in the days leading up to the test . Should be common knowledge among those administering this test.