Low carb is the way to go says my diabetes consultant

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wiflib said:
If, on a low-carb diet you are genuinely hungry then you are not eating properly. I agree that over eating is not good for anyone but hunger on a diet rich in good fats indicates something is lacking. It would also encourage the type of snack craving we all know and may end up in bad choices.

Genuine hunger needs addressing, polishing of the rest of the delicious dinner you've cooked, just because it tastes fabulous, also needs addressing but in two completely different ways.

wilf ?? im a bit lost with this one , if your low carb eating and hungry you don't eat properly ,,, I do get hungry so what do I eat if im hungry ? fats

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
back again I had to read that post a few times haahah for it to sink in my head ,,,, so somepeople recommend , low carbs and high fats ?????

I haven't tried that one yet ,, as im obese at moment and a bit worried incase I put weight on ,,, but I am getting a bit fed up of being hungry and yet I do snack on some nutts ,
so I need something to satisfy me ,,, maybe this is where the dietician was on about GI carbs

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You shouldn't be hungry or at least, if you are, it should be controllable. If you are hungry a short while after eating then you are not eating properly. If you are hungry a few hours after eating then it's time to eat again.

Are you still scared of fat? Because all the information you have been offered and indeed, your own results show you that it's not fat that makes you fat (although some would vehemently disagree with that one) but carbs.

You are the one that needs to make the decisions about what you eat and what to believe, none of us here can tell you when, how and what to eat.

My diet is rich in ghee, coconut oil, lard, butter and dripping and I have lost 8 stones, have an HbA1c of 4.6 and every one of by blood lipids is lower than the lower target recommended by NICE. It's this way because I don't eat carbs. There are many people out there that have exactly the same results.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sandy, you have had a huge amount of input into your questions from many, many forumites, most of whom have pointed out that fat does not make you fat, I know, I've read the threads. It's up to you to decide what you want to do.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wiflib said:
Sandy, you have had a huge amount of input into your questions from many, many forumites, most of whom have pointed out that fat does not make you fat, I know, I've read the threads. It's up to you to decide what you want to do.
yes wif I do agree I have had a lot of advice ,, but being only 4 weeks down the line , im trying to take everything in , and it is a lot to take in , fat carbs proteins ect ect and different peoples views , I know I have had good advice ,
and onlyjust being diagnosed is a big big step you cant learn it all in one hour or take it all in , and I think to ask as many questions as possible is a good thing, and that is what I am doing , as I have only learnt about the carb side of it , and I know know what carbs are and what GI food is ,,, but I haven't got a clue how the fats work , which is why I think eat fat , get fat, which obviously isn't true , I know that fats don't have sugar In , but I am in the stage now to research about the fat side of it , without knowing nothing about the fats, then obviously im going to think there bad for you , but I will learn in time , and I do thank everyone here for the help , so I will keep asking , and looking that's what the forum is all about

:D again thanks ,

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
wiflib said:
You shouldn't be hungry or at least, if you are, it should be controllable. If you are hungry a short while after eating then you are not eating properly. If you are hungry a few hours after eating then it's time to eat again.

Are you still scared of fat? Because all the information you have been offered and indeed, your own results show you that it's not fat that makes you fat (although some would vehemently disagree with that one) but carbs.

You are the one that needs to make the decisions about what you eat and what to believe, none of us here can tell you when, how and what to eat.

My diet is rich in ghee, coconut oil, lard, butter and dripping and I have lost 8 stones, have an HbA1c of 4.6 and every one of by blood lipids is lower than the lower target recommended by NICE. It's this way because I don't eat carbs. There are many people out there that have exactly the same results.

I'm not a high fat eater.
But on your diet, are you still losing weight?
If you aren't, fair enough, I need to, so it's not for me.
If you are, what do you intend to eat when you want to stop losing weight, as I need to lose another stone, but then I need to be stable, and I don't want to just eat bad carbs then.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wiflib said:

I don't eat fat yet ,, just low carb and protein so I don't know much about fat

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
douglas99 said:
wiflib said:

I'm not a high fat eater.
But on your diet, are you still losing weight?

If you aren't, fair enough, I need to, so it's not for me.
If you are, what do you intend to eat when you want to stop losing weight, as I need to lose another stone, but then I need to be stable, and I don't want to just eat bad carbs then.

same here doug that's why I cant understand it ,,, surely you cant loose weigh like that on a all fat diet , I need to loose fat im obese

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
this is what confused me doug , I need to loose about 5 stone , so what benefit will I get from a full fat diet ? its ok if I have reached my weight and want to maintain it , but there again eventually high fat you will just pile on the caloried again ???? am I roght ?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
sandysan said:
same here doug that's why I cant understand it ,,, surely you cant loose weigh like that on a all fat diet , I need to loose fat im obese

That's the bit I struggle with. Eat when you're hungry but always lose weight can't go on forever. 14 stone and as they say "I'm out"

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I continue to base my diet around fat. It's is very difficult to know what my Ideal weight on the scales would be as I have a goodly amount of excess skin on my body. I have maintained my weight (normal range) for many years now and the only time I have been about six pounds lighter was due to an almost starvation diet that was simply not sustainable, but then, I have a wonky metabolism like many of us and I take from this that unless I choose to starve myself, my body has chosen my weight.

All my weight loss has come form a diet based on good amounts of good fats.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...and Sandy, you are probably hungry because you are on a low-fat, low-carb diet.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well I have lost just over a stone in 4 weeks on the low carb diet ,, and I have noticed my fat getting a bit flabby now ,, but I am excercising as and when I can I walk three times a week , do you do any excersie to tone up

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wiflib said:
...and Sandy, you are probably hungry because you are on a low-fat, low-carb diet.

probably , but I have protein ,, so at the end of the day then the dietician may have been right , to have the starch bread ect , as it makes you feel less hungry ?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
wiflib said:
I continue to base my diet around fat. It's is very difficult to know what my Ideal weight on the scales would be as I have a goodly amount of excess skin on my body. I have maintained my weight (normal range) for many years now and the only time I have been about six pounds lighter was due to an almost starvation diet that was simply not sustainable, but then, I have a wonky metabolism like many of us and I take from this that unless I choose to starve myself, my body has chosen my weight.

All my weight loss has come form a diet based on good amounts of good fats.

So you aren't actually losing weight?
I agree though, low fat. low carb, low calorie, I'm hungry, as my body enjoyed stuffing all that food in for 50 years, and it's hard wired not to use the fat, I won't trust my body to choose my weight.
(Unless it agrees it was a third too heavy, it's getting a low calorie diet and no say in it)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
sandysan said:
wiflib said:

probably , but I have protein ,, so at the end of the day then the dietician may have been right , to have the starch bread ect , as it makes you feel less hungry ?

It's vital to choose food that doesn't give you spikes, regardless of what it is.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doug, I don't need to loose weight.

Sandy. You have to get energy from somewhere, either fat or carbs. If you are restricting both, you will be hungry.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
wiflib said:

Sandy. You have to get energy from somewhere, either fat or carbs. If you are restricting both, you will be hungry.

Sandy and I do.

Me, I've 4 stone of fat I'm using for energy.
When that's gone, I'll need to push more in.
Until then, I'll be hungry.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
wiflib said:

yes if you go back to my post this is what the dietician said ,,, starchy foods for energy ????? and you have just repeated what she said, so if I am hungry then as the GI food is longer lasting and makes u feel less hungry , then the diabetic nurse if right in one way , I guess its all swings and roundabouts , i will get there hopefully , rome wasn't built in a day ahahah

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
douglas99 said:
wiflib said:

Sandy and I do.

Me, I've 4 stone of fat I'm using for energy.
When that's gone, I'll need to push more in.
Until then, I'll be hungry.

ok i think im getting it slowly ,,, but fat has no sugars in whereas GI food spikes it ,,, so if i was to have a little fat instead of GI food then i wont be hungry ,,,,,?
im learning slow