Low carb is the way to go says my diabetes consultant

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
:( to scared at the moment to eat fats , if i have low carbs which i am trying to do , accept breakfast times i have to have weetabix or porridge for fastness in the mornings ,,
being obese i see fat and being fat , i have just about managed to learn about low carbs so far and what they mean , so i need not only to lower my bg , but to also loose weight , and if i eat bacon sausage ect surely it would raise my weight problems ,,

i never used to eat bacon sausage cheese ect before i was a dibetic so should i start now?
my diabeties i think is caused from being overweight t2 17st diet controlled no meds

sparkyrich

Please go back to your previous posts on numerous threads where you've said the same things and re-read the replies folk have made. There has been a wealth of extremely good advice given and your questions have been addressed many times.
It IS difficult to take in at first but you will get there eventually.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

julie54

Sandy - I totally sympathise with the fact that you are confused - we all are when we are diagnosed. But you have asked the same questions numerous times, and people - including myself - have given their time to try to give you support and advice. However, you will not get any different answers if you just keeping asking the same things, but in different forums!! You are still fairly newly into diagnosis, and it will be many weeks/months before you see any improvement - not 2 weeks! If you are choosing not to take any of the advice or suggestions, that is your decision - but please don't keep asking over and over again - people on these forums are brilliant - but will eventually lose interest in trying to help you. Sorry to be blunt - but I am now at a loss to understand just what you are expecting people to say to you - other than what they have already done - which has been to give advice on their own experiences.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sandysan said:
:( to scared at the moment to eat fats , if i have low carbs which i am trying to do , accept breakfast times i have to have weetabix or porridge for fastness in the mornings ,,
being obese i see fat and being fat , i have just about managed to learn about low carbs so far and what they mean , so i need not only to lower my bg , but to also loose weight , and if i eat bacon sausage ect surely it would raise my weight problems

As far as I remember from your other posts, your BG levels are not that bad and should respond well to eating low GI foods. Your BG levels will also respond well to losing weight and, if you can find the time, to some exercise, even if it is a little walk after every meal.

Regarding fat, I too was very careful with it, cutting off excess fat on meats and avoiding full fat products. Generally, store bought foods are either low in fat and high in sugar or low in sugar and high in fat. These are cheap ways for food producers to pack taste into their products whilst skimping on the expensive ingredients. It's a bit of a con really.

A good book to get is the Hairy Dieters cookbook because it gives you lots of tips about keeping the fat content down. They introduce you to techniques such as dry frying or using oil sprays. It also gives you the calorie content of each meal. One of the dishes I cooked mostly was their southern style chicken and prawn jambalaya. I use parboiled brown rice of course, not the wite rice they use, because I have diabetes. It's chewier and takes longer to cook, so you have to adapt the recipe. WH Smiths always seem to have good offers on these cookbooks. I also got the Hairy Dieters 2nd cookbook and the excellent Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall's Three Good Things on a Plate. Although the links here are for amazon, wh smith usually has good offers:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hairy-Dieters-L ... t+for+life

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hairy-Dieters-E ... t+for+life

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hughs-Three-Goo ... on+a+plate

Most of the recipes can be adapted to suit diabetics by switching to low GI or coplex carbs, brown rice for white rice, wholewheat noodles and pasta for normal noodles and pasta and so on. Because your BG levels are not too bad as they are, remember, some people here are in their teens and even twenties, you don't have to have such a sense of urgency. Take your time and learn. Avoiding pre processed foods and cooking from carefully selected raw ingredients will make a big difference.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
ok thanks a lot when u suffer other problems julie , anxiety depression ect , and more and have a shock as i know others do my idea is ask ask ask , and im getting replies and diffrent replies i think the post are keeping it going so you know julie think back and dont be so harsh in fact I TELL YOU WHAT I WILL LEAVE THE FORUM FOR YOU JULIE , no mater what i post you dont have to reply you can just click ignore button

bye all

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
well guyys you might be fed up of my repeated posts but the trouble is , that altho people might be trying to help ,, there also confusing me with foods i used to eat before i was diabetic , one says you can eat this ,, the other says no you can eat that ,some say dont eat wholemeal bread the other says yes eat it some say dont eat GI others say eat it and so on ,,, so its best i just do my own thing , and you know you dont have to answer to my posts infact being new to all this and some comments its rather upsetting , patience is a virtue , so when you read my posts its probably because someone has replied with another diffrent answer and im replying back to that , anyway i wont bother to ask the forum no more or post any posts ill just go back to the gp

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
julie54 said:
Sandy - I totally sympathise with the fact that you are confused - we all are when we are diagnosed. But you have asked the same questions numerous times, and people - including myself - have given their time to try to give you support and advice. However, you will not get any different answers if you just keeping asking the same things, but in different forums!! You are still fairly newly into diagnosis, and it will be many weeks/months before you see any improvement - not 2 weeks! If you are choosing not to take any of the advice or suggestions, that is your decision - but please don't keep asking over and over again - people on these forums are brilliant - but will eventually lose interest in trying to help you. Sorry to be blunt - but I am now at a loss to understand just what you are expecting people to say to you - other than what they have already done - which has been to give advice on their own experiences.

+1 We can only offer our experiences as a community regarding what has worked for us and if the advice is not what someone wants to hear then there's only a limited time that members will want to keep repeating the same information.Sandy,you've had LOADS of replies and info on here but we can't make you do it-only you can make the change.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
paul i know i have had replies , but think of it in my shoes for a miniute everyone eats diffrent i know nothing about diabeties , right , and when i ask a Q and i get diffrent people saying this is right to eat or that isnt right to eat or some are on fats ect wouldnt you get confused

anyway bye pauyl nice meeting you im out

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sandysan said:
that altho people might be trying to help ,, there also confusing me with foods i used to eat before i was diabetic , one says you can eat this ,, the other says no you can eat that ,some say dont eat wholemeal bread the other says yes eat it some say dont eat GI others say eat it and so on

I agree, people are wedded to their own ideas and the result is lots of different ideas and confusion. Go back to the Moderator's original post for new members, read that and follow the links. If you can't find it, here is one of Daisy's posts to a new member, albeit a different one:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=36409#p341156

Try the standard approaches first. That is cut out all the sugary stuff, watch what carbs you eat, ie white bread etc. cut down on portion sizes. I agree, beware of fats at this stage.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks yorkshireman im glad someone sees my point :D yes i will just do my own thing now

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
been to see diabetic dietician today for first time ,, I told her I was on a low carb diet , and she said that's not good enough , I should be eating GI foods for energy as the low carb food is not starchy and im not having any energy , she told me to have a selection of bread, potatoes or any starch carbs with 3 meals a day ,,,,, im a bit dubious of doing this , as my blood sugars will go higher and at my habc1 it wont look good , at the moment my blood is range from 5.0 to 5.5 and im loosing weight ,
altho I know the GI foods last longer and don't make u feel hungry ,,,
but if I start eating starchy carbs with all meals , then im not going to loose weight much and my bs will go thorugh the roof ,

:shock:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've seen several dieticians.

All suggested eating a lot less.

Diabetic dieticians suggested carbs, but the last one I saw was an nhs dietician for "normal" overweight patients.
"Good" carbs, but not many. Low fat. Restricted calories. Balanced diet, but with agreement to avoid anything that spiked my bs.

She's that one that inspired me to lose 3 stone.

Very easy diet to maintain, and doesn't need to know where hidden carbs are.

I don't need to eat the carbs by any means, but equally I don't need to replace them with fat.
I do feel hungry, but I also feel a load better, and can look forward to eating more when I get to the stage where I want to maintain weight, not lose it.

If your bs is good on what you eat, don't eat more carbs, they are right in switching to low GI as a good start, but equally, "if it doesn't pass your lips, it doesn't go onto your hips" as my doctor told me.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good post from dougal. Unfortunately, Sandysan, not very many dieticians promote low carbing. Not because it doesn't work, but because they don't know much about it. As a diabetic, your primary concern is to not have high sugar levels and if avoiding carbs works, then continue. Why she would tell you to eat foods that raise your BGs sounds a bit silly to me.

Ultimately, you need to do what works for you and what's right for your sugar levels.

And you don't need to eat carbs for energy, because your body is perfectly capable of creating glucose all by itself. It does this by converting protein and fatty acids into glucose in the liver. If a dietician doesn't know this, then I would question any of the advice I received from them.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tell you what Sandy, for two weeks, why don't you try not to eat any bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, pastry, pies, pizza, crisps, crackers, porridge, cereal, cakes, biscuits or sugar and eat ham, beef, chicken, bacon, pork, lamb, mince, burgers, cheese, cream, above ground vegetables, butter, lard, salads, eggs and lots of it.

Test your levels and weigh yourself after two weeks. If you see no change, do something else.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hey guys thanks

wilf ,,, I have been diagnosed as a diabetic t2 for 4 weeks now and my first thing was come on here , where I had a lot of help and done a low carb diet now for 4 weeks from 18stone in weight I am now 16.11lbs ,, and my bs is ranging around 5.2 5.5 even two hours after food its back to 5. something ,,, and I was happy doing this , altho I was hyngry ,, I still never eat bread , potatoes , the only thing I had to eat was porridge for breakfast ,

now I seen this nhs diabetic , who said you have to have starch with every meal , a quarter of your plate , I started to think hmm ....
I told her I will put on weight and my bs will go up , she said but there not bothered as long as it don't go over 7 ,,,,, and I want to keep it as low as I can ,,,,

so today I did add brown bread for breakfast ,,, 2 hours later went up to 8.8
lunch I had omlett that was ok
dinner I had noodles , salad two ryvitas well I have never seen my bg so high in 4 weeks 9.9 I instantly got down and depressed, I am going to phone her and tel her I don't feel comfortable right now doing the GI thing, as I have a lot of weight to loose , and maybe when I lost half the weight then I can introduce slowly ,
am I doing the right thing????? :D

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why bother talking to her, you don't need her permission to do what you want to control YOUR diabetes and you have been given lots of information and advice on how the eatwell plate and the standard NHS advice on diet simply doesn't work for most. Listen to your test strips.

You already know what works so just carry on with it. If you're hungry, you simply need to eat something. If you're hungry after eating carbs, stop eating carbs.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
wiflib said:
..................... If you're hungry, you simply need to eat something. ...................

Not always true.
Sometimes, you need to distract yourself, and learn when to eat, half of it is simply routine.
You shouldn't keep pushing food in regardless.
Good habits don't come overnight.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If, on a low-carb diet you are genuinely hungry then you are not eating properly. I agree that over eating is not good for anyone but hunger on a diet rich in good fats indicates something is lacking. It would also encourage the type of snack craving we all know and may end up in bad choices.

Genuine hunger needs addressing, polishing of the rest of the delicious dinner you've cooked, just because it tastes fabulous, also needs addressing but in two completely different ways.