Low Carb ..its Changed My Week

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
One thing that really irks me is when non-diabetics think a potato or a piece bread is a significantly healthier choice than, say, a candy bar. The second a piece of bread hits your tongue it turns into sugar. My dad used to think that way, and I kept having to tell him, no, I'll take more greens instead of potatos with my meat, because this potato will raise my sugars by the same amount as a candy bar but another piece of meat won't raise it, at all.

I just don't understand why people want their lives to be harder than they already are. Meat and fish and nuts and butter and cheese are all delicious! Eat cake on your birthday and pizza on a special occasion, and leave it there. Carbs have caused my untold and unnecessary suffering for years before I picked up Dr B's book by random chance. I have a better A1C than my endocrinologist who is a type 2, due to low-carbing.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen 3 dietitians. they do not recommend a low carb diet. I've no interest in seeing any more dietitians. They don't have diabetes and they don't know what really is like to live with it. It's up to you to research and decide what you think is best for you.

If you are interested in a low carb diet, try this book as well. The recommendation is a lot more moderate than dr Bernstein so you might find it easier to follow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Take-Control-Type-Diabetes-self-management/dp/1785040936

Thanks for your recommendation. I have just purchased this book as it sounds like a comprehensive introduction to type 1 above and beyond what I have been told by the hospital. I am in quite a unique position in that my mum is/was a diabetic nurse elsewhere (in the process of retiring), but I think it would be useful to get a wide range of information as she just tells me the same thing that the NHS nurses/ dietitians have told me!

Reactions: michita

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your recommendation. I have just purchased this book as it sounds like a comprehensive introduction to type 1 above and beyond what I have been told by the hospital. I am in quite a unique position in that my mum is/was a diabetic nurse elsewhere (in the process of retiring), but I think it would be useful to get a wide range of information as she just tells me the same thing that the NHS nurses/ dietitians have told me!
A third book recommendation, this time free: https://brightspotsandlandmines.org

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that really irks me is when non-diabetics think a potato or a piece bread is a significantly healthier choice than, say, a candy bar. The second a piece of bread hits your tongue it turns into sugar. My dad used to think that way, and I kept having to tell him, no, I'll take more greens instead of potatos with my meat, because this potato will raise my sugars by the same amount as a candy bar but another piece of meat won't raise it, at all.

I just don't understand why people want their lives to be harder than they already are. Meat and fish and nuts and butter and cheese are all delicious! Eat cake on your birthday and pizza on a special occasion, and leave it there. Carbs have caused my untold and unnecessary suffering for years before I picked up Dr B's book by random chance. I have a better A1C than my endocrinologist who is a type 2, due to low-carbing.

Well if you were determined to choose one of the three then the candy bar would be the less 'healthy' and with fewer vitamins. I get your point that none of them are good choices for someone with diabetes though.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs have caused my untold and unnecessary suffering for years before I picked up Dr B's book by random chance
Since you have benefited from Dr B's great book, you must know that there are carbs in most foods, even in cheese, butter, sardines, nuts. The amount varies, so label reading is vital. As Dr B says, there are no freebies. If with his encouragement you are chasing perfect bg, even low carb vegetables are rationed. Even protein does raise bg, albeit less and more slowly than carbs. Dr B says that even sawdust or pebbles will raise bg if we eat enough of them.

midwife64

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Do.you get the same results if type.2 on insulin
I take lantus 52 units as background and novorapid each meal 1unit for 10gram carbs
Would like to try low carb any advice as currently struggling

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
On low-carb you should be able to get off insulin quite rapidly if you are type 2. Taking insulin only makes insulin resistance worse, and you will keep gaining weight. It's not a solution, at all. Just cut out most carbs and get off the meds.

Check out the videos from Dr Fung, he is really an expert on curing (yes, fully curing) type 2 diabetic patients:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

In before the peanut gallery chimes in: NO, you CANNOT go back to high carb western diet and not expect the problem to return. A full cure doesn't mean your body is invincible and that doing the same thing you did the first time won't give you the exact same results the second time. Avoid doing what hurts your body in the first place, and stop expecting your body to take whatever you give it and never push back or start breaking down.

It's much easier if you just adopt a simple, "carbs are the devil" mentality and stop fueling the fire of the type 2 diabetes epidemic.

If I were type 2 diabetic I would have cured myself already. I wish I had that option. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Pick one: long-term health, or loving carbs. You can't have it both ways.

Last edited: