Low Carb lunch options

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
(I've been T2 since May 2005 and last year went onto Byetta to supplement Metformin and Gliclazide. I walk 60,000 or more steps a week and do resistance work three times a week).

I've recently discovered the joys of low carbs and, since cutting out most bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, my Hba1C this month was 6.5% which is the lowest ever and my weight has dropped off as well.

While I can handle breakfast and dinner because I'm at home, I'm struggling to find something to eat for lunch in my office. I have Tesco, Sainsbury's and M&S all within walking distance but their prepacked lunches all seem to contain around 30g of carbs or higher.

What do people do for lunch when they are at work and don't or can't make their own lunches?

Richard

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Well done on your latest results and weight loss, that's brilliant.

As for lunches, I am happily retired so don't have a problem. However, we do have lots of days out when we take a picnic. In very little time you can prepare a lunch for yourself and take it with you. All you need are some cold ingredients and a plastic Tupperware-type container or two. I don't know what sort of food you like, but cold meats, chicken drums, cherry toms, egg mayo, mashed tinned salmon, cheese, nuts, yogurt and berries, and if you eat a bit of bread then one slice buttered, cut in half and folded then wrapped in tin foil will be fine.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco do chicken pieces in their cooked meat section and in mine they do a rotisserie as well. It's a bit Henry VIII but low carb. As said above other cooked meats would be fine. They also do leafy salads in plastic bags as well as whole salad meals in plastic boxes. Nuts are low GI and a few of them might be fine. Lots of stuff in the veggie dept and berries and cream can last a few days in the plastic tubs they come in. Corned beef is low carb so you meke a corned beef salad and original recipe KFC is low carb too believe it or not. Do not buy things like dippers, nuggets or goujon since they are heavy on flour.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

If you have a food flask, you can take a hot lunch with you. Soups, stews, leftovers from the previous night, anything really. Reheat in the morning and pop it in the food flask.

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Avocados are great with just about everything and are full of healthy fat to power the working day. I am rather fond of mixing sliced avocado with mozzarella and tomatoes and a slug of extra virgin olive oil. Or what about avocado and prawns with a creamy dressing?

Can you tolerate pulses? Mixed bean salads are filling and delicious. Open a can of 'em and add desired amount to tuna, smoked mackerel/trout/salmon etc. together with chopped celery/toms/cu/pepper/red onion etc. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic or a little lemon juice. Boiled eggs and lentils make the basis for a good salad too. I stir in rocket along with tomatoes and the ubiquitous olive oil.

Pate or peanut butter or cream cheese with celery sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tesco do chicken pieces in their cooked meat section and in mine they do a rotisserie as well. It's a bit Henry VIII but low carb. As said above other cooked meats would be fine. They also do leafy salads in plastic bags as well as whole salad meals in plastic boxes. Nuts are low GI and a few of them might be fine. Lots of stuff in the veggie dept and berries and cream can last a few days in the plastic tubs they come in. Corned beef is low carb so you meke a corned beef salad and original recipe KFC is low carb too believe it or not. Do not buy things like dippers, nuggets or goujon since they are heavy on flour.
Thanks! So it seems that low carbers generally pick and mix food from the supermarkets and make up their own lunches rather than rely on the prepacked stuff. I am keeping away from the dippers, etc. I study every pack I pick up to identify the carb content - it's quite horrifying how many carbs are in their food!

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Avocados are great with just about everything and are full of healthy fat to power the working day. I am rather fond of mixing sliced avocado with mozzarella and tomatoes and a slug of extra virgin olive oil. Or what about avocado and prawns with a creamy dressing?

Can you tolerate pulses? Mixed bean salads are filling and delicious. Open a can of 'em and add desired amount to tuna, smoked mackerel/trout/salmon etc. together with chopped celery/toms/cu/pepper/red onion etc. Dress with extra virgin olive oil and crushed garlic or a little lemon juice. Boiled eggs and lentils make the basis for a good salad too. I stir in rocket along with tomatoes and the ubiquitous olive oil.
Thanks.. I adore avocados so the mix with mozzarella and tomatoes may well feature in my diet.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a knife ,fork and spoon in the car or office then just buy cooked meat ,cheese avocado ,salad leaves and you don't have to worry about finding somewhere to eat
CAROL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are fab things like olives and feta in olive oil, at tescos.

I've gone through various evolutions with my low carb packed lunches, from green smoothies, to homemade veg soup with cold meat
Chunks of cheese with salad
Greek yog and berries
Sliced cold meat with cherry toms

But the current winner is 100g of President Brie with a bag of Posh Pork Scratchings.:woot:
Utterly fabulously awesome.
I've never felt so comfortably alert, all afternoon.
No wilting, no yawning, and no peckish ness til about 6pm.
Of course, the fat is off the scale, but that and the protein/carb balance is perfect for my low carb requirements, and they are beyond delicious.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yep, as above, if I'm in the office I go to Sainsbury's first and buy some olives, feta, tomatoes, cheese, salami, salad leaves, guacamole or avocado, houmous (but not too much of that), berries, cream, and just throw something together!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To re-iterate something already touched on. Berries and cream are lchf and there are strawberries and raspberries around at the moment and extra thick cream won't harm you and will keep hunger at bay for hours. Also the yogurts should not be overlooked. Put the no fat ones back on the shelf and get the Greek style with flavour. Some of them are fabulous and if you put some of those berries in it I am willing to bet that you will do that again soon.

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
There are fab things like olives and feta in olive oil, at tescos.

I've gone through various evolutions with my low carb packed lunches, from green smoothies, to homemade veg soup with cold meat
Chunks of cheese with salad
Greek yog and berries
Sliced cold meat with cherry toms

But the current winner is 100g of President Brie with a bag of Posh Pork Scratchings.:woot:
Utterly fabulously awesome.
I've never felt so comfortably alert, all afternoon.
No wilting, no yawning, and no peckish ness til about 6pm.
Of course, the fat is off the scale, but that and the protein/carb balance is perfect for my low carb requirements, and they are beyond delicious.
I will definitely look out for the Brie and pork scratchings!

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
To re-iterate something already touched on. Berries and cream are lchf and there are strawberries and raspberries around at the moment and extra thick cream won't harm you and will keep hunger at bay for hours. Also the yogurts should not be overlooked. Put the no fat ones back on the shelf and get the Greek style with flavour. Some of them are fabulous and if you put some of those berries in it I am willing to bet that you will do that again soon.
That sounds more like a dessert to me, so maybe I need to rethink what 'lunch' means. I have greek yoghurt and berries and flaked almonds for breakfast and they keep me going for a good four or five hours.

rehill54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Yep, as above, if I'm in the office I go to Sainsbury's first and buy some olives, feta, tomatoes, cheese, salami, salad leaves, guacamole or avocado, houmous (but not too much of that), berries, cream, and just throw something together!
I need to do a paradigm shift and rethink what a normal lunch should consist of. I really like your suggestions!

JTL

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Wow what an inspiring lot you are!
I've been low carbing with raised fats (don't like the high fat label) for a couple of months now and am thoroughly enjoying my food.
The suggestions above remind me why.
This really isn't a diet as such but a very very healthy lifestyle change.

JTL

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Wife and three year old granddaughter went blackberry picking in the hedgerows and ditches early evening yesterday and came back with two pounds in weight in less than half an hour!
Fruit is very plump sweet and juicy this year ... looks blacker and shinier than usual too.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too but no salami or houmous. Mackerel, tuna, salmon or egg instead. Oh and cucumber. Tesco are now selling their greek style yoghurt in 100g pots x 4. I little more expensive than the 500g pits but more convenient.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take lunch to the office- salmon salad, ham with cheese and a sliced Apple ( doesn't even raise my levels beyond 1 point at 1 or 2 hours!) Prawns and cream cheese, cold chicken and salad, even pre-plan and take in dishes of sugar free jelly- I keep a pot of cream in the office fridge for coffee so pop a bit of that on! As brunneria says.....no afternoon slump, cravings or hunger!!