Low carb - my first two weeks

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've now just completed my second week of a low carb regime which has actually been a lot easier than I expected. I started it after reading Bernstein's book - I'd mostly stopped checking my blood (assuming everything was OK) but shocked myself with a reading of 15.4 mmol/L half an hour after a Weetabix breakfast. Something had to change!

On the last day before starting (taken as a base for comparison) my waking level was 9.7 mmol/L with a daytime maximum of 14.7 and a minimum of 8.1. Yesterday's numbers were a waking level of 7.1, with a daytime maximum of 8.0 and a minimum of 6.4 mmol/L. I've already recorded a 5.6 today, the lowest figure so far. I'm checking the levels around seven times per day. I can hardly believe these numbers because in about five or six years since diagnosis as T2, I've never been close to these levels. I'm still taking exactly the same metformin as before, two 850mg pills per day.

I don't feel hungry even though I've dropped bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. I eat a lot more vegetables and meat than previously but smaller meals, and even though I'm not exercising particularly, I've lost 3kg in weight.

At the moment I feel very positive about the whole thing and I hope that doesn't change. The only downside I can see is the need to read packet labels with 4pt type, a right PITA. Over the last fortnight I've also discovered loads of hidden sugar in foods which has been an education in itself. I wonder if my experience is typical of others starting the low carb thing. At the moment I can't see any problem keeping it up, but this is probably the honeymoon phase :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
All sounds good Bob. Not a Bernstein fan myself but have low carbed and it does work, just couldn't tolerate the fats and also couldn't keep to the menus for the rest of my natural ! Still, if it is working for you then go with it........ :D

As for the print on packaging, I too have mega problems with that so just got myself a small pocket magnifier with a built in light, great for reading the small print and has also attracted attention in some stores prompting questions from people who wonder what I am up too :? That's when the 'reduce the carbs' advice gets put out, especially if the person is overweight or says they are a Diabetic............spread the word !! :D

As for it being typical.......it was for me, I was amazed at the total carbs in some of the things that were supposed to be 'healthy' and that I had been advised to eat........what a revelation that was.
This is also where the advice Sue and I give out relating to carbs comes in handy for a Diabetic, labels are a pain. Many people see sugars and read that number thinking that is all they need to look at.......those are added sugars which do not include the carb content, so we always say look at the total carbs, which includes the added sugars as it can be very misleading looking at just sugars on a label if you are a Diabetic. :(

Keep us posted how you get on, we love to hear all the success stories........ :D

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
One week later and the numbers have improved again: waking BG is consistently close to 7.0, with a daily max well under 8 and a minimum occasionally under 6 with the lowest now 5.4. My weight's tailed off but that doesn't worry me. I've no idea what Hb1c that will translate to but it's got to be a whole lot better than the previous one of 7.7 mid-October.

Because of the cost of strips, I'm switching from a OneTouch UltraSmart to a GlucoRx and I've run dual tests a couple of times because of posts I've seen about inaccuracy. So far, both are identical so either they both have the same error in the same direction each time, or else they're both accurate. I'm assuming the latter in the absence of any evidence to the contrary. If that's the case, then whatever the exact measure, the trend is still good. Although the health service will give prescriptions for strips here in Spain, they are going to be rationing them severely. The GlucoRx ones are very much cheaper so when I run out of the OneTouch, I'll switch over.

At the moment, I'm wondering why I didn't cotton on to this low carb thing a long time ago. I wonder if I'll still be saying the same thing in a few months. I haven't had any of the symptoms some posters have noted such as tiredness and gut problems so maybe I've been lucky. Onwards and downwards!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Looks like we shall soon be seeing you in the Success stories thread Bob........that's what we like to see. Any idea what your total daily carb intake is at the moment, we are always getting Members asking how many carbs do you eat a day. Give them some idea what they are going to have to do to get good results.

Well done....... :D

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've no idea what my actual daily carbohydrate is in grams because I don't count them but I can give a typical day's food so someone else could count them:

Breakfast: one or two eggs either as an omelette or scrambled, sometimes with a small dash of milk added. Now and again, it's bacon but I've been caught out with some types having hidden sugar.

Lunch: often a few slices of cured ham (we're in Andalucia so jamon serrano is everywhere :D ) with salad. Occasionally I put a small amount salad cream or my own dressing on it and sometimes have some cheese as well.

Sometimes instead I have a vegetable soup made without potatoes. We have huge amounts of varied fresh veg here in Andalucia.

Mid afternoon (occasionally): a plain Greek yoghurt, perhaps a small handful of peanuts.

Evening meal: Meat or fish dish, sometimes casseroled or curried. If curry, I mix my own. No potatoes but I use cabbage instead, sometimes courgettes, and greens. Often have roast vegetables such as red peppers. Sometimes a can of beer, otherwise unlimited quantities of coffee and tea.

No idea what that lot counts up to, and to be honest I'm not too worried because I know there's not a lot of carbs in it. But I used to cook lots of stuff, breads, chapattis, rice dishes, pasta, pies, etc, all the stuff I've dropped. Now I still cook a lot but differently - like chicken and blue cheese roulade for example. It's not too difficult to change your cooking mindset if you're into cooking anyway - there are loads of recipe ideas in Google :D

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just before I started this low-carb thing I had an HbA1c test and it was 7.7 which worried me. Two years back it was 5.7 when I'd just arrived in Spain. So in that time I had let things slip, thinking that my numbers were not too bad. Waking glucose had always been around 7.5-ish and I'd stopped testing myself so often.

The wake-up call was testing myself after breakfast and seeing a figure of over 15. Hence the low-carb.

I've just tested my own Hb1Ac with an A1CNow kit which seemed fairly easy to use. The level was 6.7 so on the way down again. In about a month, the low-carb diet has brought down the HbA1c figure by 1 which if the books are to be believed, represents around a 30% drop in the risk of complications.

The only problem I've had is friends who seem more prone to say things like "oh, go on, just one won't hurt..." as if on realising that I'm avoiding carbs, they feel obliged to make it something of a challenge to get me to crack. And here in Spain, there's an institution called a merienda which is an afternoon tea/chat where loads of people gather at someone's house. But the whole point is to munch on sugary things. I've never had a sweet tooth so I won't miss the food but whereas I ate a very small amount last time, this time I won't be eating any of it and I have to make sure it's not perceived as a sleight - Spanish folk can be a bit touchy sometimes.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Good to hear things are getting better Bob. Any idea what amount of carbs you have dropped down to each day ?

As for people being 'touchy'.........it isn't just the Spanish ! Trust me, :twisted:

I have had people getting very upset because I have refused their home made cakes, biscuits, jams etc.......frankly I couldn't give a jot ! That's their problem. It is MY health I am thinking of.......not their strange way of thinking. They have to accept you and YOUR ways.

Stick to your guns and politely explain you do not eat or drink such things, and the reasons why. They shouldn't get upset if you are rational and don't leap around shouting...."I can't eat that !!! "

Works for me...... :)

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea about the carbs because I don't count the grams. Basically I've stopped eating bread, rice, pasta and potatoes and avoided anything that looks like it would have a lot of carbs. I've been caught a couple of times (Shredded Wheat and apples are examples :( ) but I check my post-meal values so I'm fairly sure now of what to avoid.

I didn't want to get into the game of calculating carb values. I just wanted to adjust to something healthier for me. I put a typically day's food on an earlier post if anyone wants to have a stab at calculating it, but I'm pretty sure there's very little carb in it. I don't feel hungry or tired and I'm feeling pretty positive about it at the moment. Long may it continue!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thanks for that Bob. :)

We here are really interested in what people consume as there are many who say they are low carbing but when things are totted up throughout the day they actually aren't really. :?

Anyway no matter. Whatever amount you are actually consuming seems to be working, as you say you are avoiding most of the bad stuff.

As to calculating, nah !
Products and packaging totals can vary so much. We don't have access to Spanish product carb values. I'll leave that with you. :wink:

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
cugila said:
We here are really interested in what people consume as there are many who say they are low carbing but when things are totted up throughout the day they actually aren't really. :?

That's a really important point because I know some diabetics who seem to think that they can cancel out certain carbohydrates, as if eating a bit of salad somehow enables you to eat pasta without any consequences. It reminds me of the supersize programme in which people though that eating a double burger was cancelled by having a tomato with it!

My rule is that if it goes down my neck, it counts.

I wonder if counting carbs is actually misleading for some people because if they can't work it out accurately, they might guess just to have a figure and wanting to feel positive, they underestimate their intake. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to get the figures accurate even though I was scientifically trained (admittedly in the age of typewriters :( ).

cugila

Master
Dislikes
AlcalaBob said:
My rule is that if it goes down my neck, it counts.

I wonder if counting carbs is actually misleading for some people because if they can't work it out accurately, they might guess just to have a figure and wanting to feel positive, they underestimate their intake. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to get the figures accurate even though I was scientifically trained (admittedly in the age of typewriters :( ).

Spot on !! That's the problem. There are many who say I am low carbing, you look at the sort of things going down their neck, snacks, drink etc and you think .......that......is not low carbing. It might be a reduction, however many just conveniently forget or 'guestimate' the carbs and are then surprised when it is pointed out exactly how many they are consuming.

It is quite a simple matter to count the carbs, a carb counting book, labels from products, a simple calculator and a set of digital scales (preferably with a Tare facility). That's it. Not rocket science, however to some that sounds like it is too much trouble. That is when they, as you say, 'underestimate their intake.'

Maybe we will ask a question of members in another Topic......see what they actually do, if they consider themselves low carbers.......could be illuminating. :wink:

Thanks for listening. :)

trand

Just been reading these on here, It is odd how people react to you when you say 'no thank you' i also have 2 mates who are diabetic, and they eat anything, both way over weight ( may I add,) they honestly think that their medication, doe's it all for them, and laugh at me when I say I'm on a low carb diet, and don't eat this or that.

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Still seems to be on track though I've noticed that even without breakfast, I can get a glucose rise a couple of hours after waking. Maybe that's the gluconeogenesis thing but it's disconcerting. With a waking BG of around 7 it can jump to 8.5 or even 9. I take my metformin and it comes down as expected.

I still want that waking BG level to be lower which presumably means somehow reducing the level the evening before, so I'm focusing my readings a bit more carefully.

I've been appalled at the amount of nonsense written in alt-med sites about using herbs and stuff to "control" diabetes. They often come across some miniscule effect reported in some small trial on rats or mice, or misunderstand a sentence or two from wiki, and inflate the results into some recommendation for say, fenugreek, or somesuch. It is really worrying how much ignorant misinformation is spread by these well-meaning people.

They steer well clear of the science simply because they don't like Big Pharma but as a result, they peddle nonsense theories and potentially very misleading information. I just wish some of these would-be good samaritans would get a biology book out the library or perhaps do a basic science course. I'd advise diabetics to stay well away from people giving diabetic advice who are anti-science or simply ignorant of it. We need to understand and control our condition based on reliable data and evidence not rely on apocryphal stories about plants.

There are always those who claim "it worked for me" but I don't trust anecdotes. Give me controlled trial data every time.

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I knew I shouldn't have written "my first two weeks" because it was obviously going to take longer than that to see any real results. Boredom has well and truly set in though I'm not discouraged. It's immensely tedious checking blood levels and reading every label but until my BG is properly under control, I think I don't really have all that much choice. I'm hoping to check just three times a day after the next few weeks though, then rely on an A1c figure every few months.

I have a nice long list of foods I have to avoid but not exactly a wide range of foods I can eat freely. Although not hungry, I am hoping for a bit more variety in future. I searched out some low-carb diet books and was a bit disappointed to discover that many of them consisted of various combinations of dried cardboard and powdered protein, bulked up with something indigestible. Too many of these books and sites seem to be plugging a product. Most of the foods sold as low sugar contain too many carbs anyway and I've developed a nose for dishonest advertising and labelling - better late than never.

On the good side, I've discovered that I can eat chapatis without a massive rise of BG which since I have to avoid rice, puts curries back on the agenda (cabbage is absolutely no substitute!), and I can eat nuts too. Having chopped out a load of foods, I'm now selectively adding in small quantities to check the effect so my choice will eventually increase. The lesson really is to get the levels down before experimenting with adding certain foods back in.

Waking BG is still hovering around 7-ish so I've now postponed breakfast until lunchtime. With the metformin first thing as well, that seems to have controlled the slight mid-morning rise I was getting even with a scrambled egg breakfast. I've also discovered that lifting 4kg weights in repetitions does wonders to reduce any unexpected peaks, whereas a long walk hardly has any effect. And of course toning up some muscles is supposed to help resensitise them to glucose uptake. Whatever is going on, I feel a bit fitter and it takes very little time.

Although I've lost around 4kg since starting the low-carb thing, the weight loss has tailed off. I don't really care about that because I can see my overall BG levels coming down. In the last week I've had daily averages under 7 and I've seen my lowest ever level yesterday of 5.3, so it's clearly working for me.

For me the biggest frustration seems to be with cooking which I used to enjoy much more. I used to make a lot of things that now I can't eat so I tend not to cook them any more. But that's a trivial inconvenience compared with feeling better and seeing my diabetes so much more under control. Onwards and downwards!

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
An Hb1Ac of 6.2, down from 7.7 when I started the low carb diet and 6.7 a month ago, has encouraged me and I notice that I hardly ever feel hungry and never feel tired. Since I now feel much more in control and generally fitter, I've started to record my BG much less often and I'm testing odd days now. Partly that's a cost thing because strips are expensive. Here in Spain, my GP will give me a prescription but only enough for a couple of tests per week and given what can be done with simply changing your diet, that seems fairly reasonable.

I don't trust the labels on foods here because I've been caught so often - I convinced that a lot of the manufacturers simply tell lies on the labels and no doubt have found legal ways of getting around the EU requirements. I can pretty much tell if I've got a high level now just from how I feel.

I probably won't post any more on this thread since everything seems to have settled down and is very much in the right direction. I'm glad I switched to a low carb diet and the change wasn't anywhere near as traumatic as I thought it would be. The test will be how it turns out over the course of the year and whether I end up compromising on certain foodstuffs.

Thanks for the encouragement I get from reading other folks' posts.

adm

Hi Bob,

Just as a bit of encouragement, I was diagnosed as T2 in April last year with an A1c of 13.2.

I started low carbing immediately - initially BG testing before and after every meal to get a baseline understanding of how I reacted to various foods. My last A1c was 5.2!

Nowadays, I test every morning on waking, and get readings typically from 5 to 6 which is pretty good. Now I know most of the foods that will effect me, I don't bother testing before or after meals very often unless I am adding something new. This seems to work really well.

I also threw a lot of exercise into the mix - and that seems to have really affected my carb tolerance in a good way. After a couple of hours hard cycling I'll eat a big bowl of pasta and never see levels above 7.5 2 hours after eating it. So as you get thinner and fitter and your metabolism speeds up you may find you can add more carbs back into your diet without negative effects. Also, I can now eat a lot more fruit than I used to without seeing BG spikes any more.

One other thing I found is that there are actually a fair few types of carbs I can eat quite a lot of without much effect: All lentils (so daal with curry works well instead of rice), all beans and pulses, like you - one or two chapattis or a few poppadums (I'm a big curry lover too!), brown, red or wild rice, etc. I don't eat these regularly, but as a reward every now and again I find they are just fine. I've never had much of a sweet tooth either, so I just cut all refined sugars out of my diet. I might have a nibble of 85%+ dark chocolate every few weeks or so, but that's pretty much it on the sugars front.

I've found it's perfectly possible to eat a full and varied diet without much thought even under a low carb regime - I just eat the same as the rest of the family at meals but just avoid any potatoes or rice and bulk up on veg. In restaurants it's even easier.....and there's nothing like a nice steak with a crispy side salad. I really don't miss the chips or baked potato any more. I have also found that I don't miss the "stuffed" feeling that the carbs give you either.

As for the weight loss, it will of course slow after the initial drop (most of which is typically water) but it WILL continue if you keep to it. Losing weight should be a slow process and you really shouldn't aim for more than half a kilo a week. You will hit plateau phases as your body adjusts, but it's really simple (although not easy) to keep it going. Just consume less calories than your basal metabolic weight and you'll get thinner (10-20% would be a good target - no more). The more exercise you add to the mix, the more you can eat and still lose weight, but slow and steady is the way to go! I am now 23Kg lighter than I was in April and feel great.

Anyway....just wanted to say that it gets easier as you learn the ropes and pretty soon becomes habit! Good luck on your journey....