1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb/no sugar sweets

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by ionajc, May 1, 2016.

1. BlaiseS

BlaiseS Type 1 · Member

The treat kitchen do an amazing range of diabetic sweets! They even have cola cubes! I bought a selection for my T2 Dad at christmas and he says they taste exactly the same as regular sweets. Personally, I stick to small amounts of regular chocolate... funsize packs of malteasers are only 12.1 carbs so they're perfect for a snack!

2. Asimovhod

Asimovhod · Newbie

Which, as it's barbecue season toast just as well as 'full fat' marshmallows.

3. Asimovhod

Asimovhod · Newbie

Just a heads up for any dog owners. Xylitol is deadly for dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Olwin11

Olwin11 Type 1 · Member

I I always go onto Amazon loads there

5. Fluke165

Fluke165 Type 2 · Newbie

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 and have been buying small bags of sugar free humbugs, Mintoes and lemon (something, sorry I forgot the name of them) from tesco with my home delivery. They dont taste any differently to the non sugar free versions, these bags are 66p a bag. Also Tango Orange 2 litres sugar free from there also and they are £1 at the moment. Hth Xx

6. t1caitlin

t1caitlin Type 1 · Member

I find M&S good for a wide selection of hard boiled sugar free sweets - he may like butterscotch!
    Also i believe Holland and Barretts do a range of low/no sugar chocolate sweets and bites. Also things like chocolate raisins etc.
    And Werther's have now got a range of sugar free sweets.
    I think apart from the odd packets in superstores , online may be the best option otherwise.

7. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Be a little careful with pure stevia as it's extremely sweet even in very small quantities and can leave an aftertaste, which some people find slightly odd or unpleasant. Watch too that it isn't bulked out with any starchy fillers to tone down this sweetness; it's best combined with powdered erythritol which is one of the few sugar alcohols recommended for diabetic use, and which doesn't have any unpleasant gastric side effects.

Have a look too on Google for low carb sweetie recipes, there are a number of them, e.g. mock Bounty bars that you can make yourself.

Robbity

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Boots also do a 'No Added Sugar' range of sweets. They do contain Maltitol and Sucralose, but the total carb content is about 3-4 carbs per sweet. I like the Chocolate Caramels and Mint Humbugs.

9. Sonnyboy123

Sonnyboy123 Type 2 · Member

Please be careful with ALL of these 'sugar free' sweets. I got sucked in for years. Then one day I just glanced at the carb content. Between 83% and 97%!!!!! As we all know, carbs going into your body turn to sugar and my BG is lower since leaving them out of my diet.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook