1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb/no sugar sweets

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by ionajc, May 1, 2016.

1. ionajc

ionajc Type 1 · Member

My son is type 1 and obviously he likes sweets etc like most children. Although I'd like to steer away from sugary sweets and maybe just have them as treats at parties etc. Does anybody know where you can get a range of low carb/low or no sugar sweets from. I've just ordered some from amazon but I can never seem to find any in supermarkets.

2. MasterDoctor

MasterDoctor Type 1 · Member

You can sometimes find the odd packet of sweets or something in bigger supermarkets such as Tesco but there's not a proper range, as far as I know you really have to look online.

• Like Like x 2
  3. phil1966

phil1966 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Holland and Barrett have a reasonably decent range including chocolate with stevia

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

There are sugar free polos that are very readily available if he likes mint. There's also a range of sugar free sweets in little boxes branded Ricola.

There don't tend to be so many sugar free sweets aimed at children because they contain artificial sweeteners which can have a laxative effect (some kinds) or just be something many parents wish to avoid.

I have normal Haribos for hypos sometimes if I fancy a 'treat', and I also enjoy normal sugary sweets on walks and hikes :) They keep my blood sugar up and it's a nice opportunity to have something I don't eat on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 4
  5. dukidoll

dukidoll Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Aldi do sugar free sweets,mint ,mixed fruit,strawberry and cream, rhubarb and custard ,coffee -2 packs for 99 p .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scimama

Scimama Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

M&S do a range of sugar free sweets - hard boiled types, Holland and barret do a few, Weathers do a sugar free version, if you have one near you the old fashioned sweet shops often do sugar free sweets which includes "haribo" style ones.

Unfortunately all of the ones I know of contain sugar alcohols, which can interfere with BG control in she individuals (so would have to test) and can (do!) have a laxative effect.

Does he like chocolate? There are some great high coco solid chocolates available, Tesco swiss 85% is a good one to start with, Hotel Chocolat do a few low sugar chocolates - really nice!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ionajc

ionajc Type 1 · Member

Yes, they're my next place to try, thanks :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. ionajc

ionajc Type 1 · Member

That's a good idea for when being active, that may get my son out walking more ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. ionajc

ionajc Type 1 · Member

Really? I've looked in aldi but have never seen sugar free ones. I'll have to look again and double check my one

10. ionajc

ionajc Type 1 · Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been on amazon today I got some chewy werther orginals, he used to like the normal ones. I managed to find sugar free and low carb ones :) and getting some pure stevia for cereals etc

• Like Like x 2
  11. dukidoll

12. dukidoll

They are sometimes near the tills , on with the sweets .My grandson loves mine !

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. amgrundy

amgrundy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I also buy these all the time and they do not rise my BG readings. I have bought recently Werthers sugar free in large bags. :)

14. amgrundy

amgrundy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Yes they do sell them I buy mine from there, they also do Sugar free mints [ peppermint and spearmint ] in little tins near the check out tills.

15. Pollylocks

Pollylocks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sainsbury do their own make of sugar free marshmallows.

16. Doda

Doda Type 2 · Newbie

I suggest you steer clear of " sugar free', if it means that they are using aspartame or Sucralose.... as they are not good sweeteners! Stevia or Xylitol are much healthier... Just check which sweetener they are using! Good luck...

17. ionajc

ionajc Type 1 · Member

I know, I don't like the idea of them myself, I was always going for the sugar option before he was diagnosed because I preferred him to have that in moderation than the artificial sweeteners but to be honest with you, most things I'm looking at sugar free are either aspartame or sucrolose. I've just recently bought some pure stevia sweetener sachets off amazon, but as I said, sweets & drinks are not so easy to come by.

18. heather_angel

heather_angel Type 2 · Member

try ebay lots of choice, thank goodness.and polo do sugar free.

19. Jon Lee

Jon Lee Type 2 · Member

I buy Sula boiled sweets from my chemist. Similar to the Ricola but 85p a pack as opposed to £1.20 ish for the Ricola. Both are much cheaper in the chemist than in Holland & Barrett. I have also found sugar free Werthers in the supermarket. If you can find a 'proper' sweet shop they often have a range of sugar free sweets. My local hospital also has some. I would avoid the toffees as they are very sticky and not that good. We also stock up when we go on holiday to Spain as they seem to have a very good range of sugar free sweets, biscuits and cakes. But also take heed of the warning. http://www.hellou.co.uk/2016/05/rev...he-funniest-thing-youll-read-this-week-90660/

20. paulliljeros

paulliljeros Other · Well-Known Member

I have bought from an online company called aquarterof a couple of times at http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/boiled-crunchy-sugar-free.html who have a great selection of sugar free sweets. All I can comment on is that the website has a great selection and I liked most of them. Sign up to the mailing list and they often send out money off vouchers.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook