1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

LOW CARB NOT WORKING?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Annb, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Annb

Annb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At one stage, I did manage to get my Hba1c down to 55, but not for long and not in the last 18 months. After these last months and what has finally been acknowledged by my doctor to have been covid 19, it must be away up. At present it isn't being tested, so I have to rely on my meter. I have to keep an eye on it, but I'm beginning to hope now, that I might be able to get by on 50 g and keep my BG at a reasonable level.

2. Annb

I still feel a bit guilty eating to satiety and even when I do - the feeling doesn't last. But then, even when I do eat carbs, the full feeling doesn't last. Probably a problem with my stomach. I'm afraid I just have to get used to being hungry for much of the day.

What kind of flatbread and fajitas do you use? Is there a good, and reasonably priced, bread recipe/fajita recipe which is low enough in carb?

3. mansingh01

mansingh01 Type 2 · Active Member

Try to avoid rolls and bread all carbs

4. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I feel confident to suggest that you wouldn't be hungry eating like this. I have had to go from 3 course sittings to 2. I am excited as I know I will see body composition changes even if it takes a while to kick in, whilst my overall consumption is lower.

These are the ingredients I use for the flat breads (almost full cup of warm to hot water, third of regular tub of cream cheese, 2 x third of a cup coconut flour, half of a third of a cup of psyllium husk, three quarters of a teaspoon of baking powder):
    upload_2021-2-24_22-4-56.png

Method:
    Put a flat no stick pan on a mid heat on the stove, granite is perfect as no butter is required, or smear a little
    1. Put Flour, Psyllium and baking powder into a bowl and mix.
    2. Put cream cheese into the mix.
    3. Add water to the mix and mix
    4. At first it might be quite loose, but keep working until it forms a dough
    5. I cut the dough in half and roll between 2 baking sheets
    6. Use any shape to divide the dough
    7. Use a spatula or similar to help pickup the shapes and cook on both sides like pancakes
    upload_2021-2-24_22-18-34.png

I didn't set out to replace bread, but the macros tick several boxes, being protein, fat and fibre carbs, whilst the end result works for currys, roll-ups, peanut butter, burger and left over meat delivery mechanism, marmite or just on their own (great when just cooked). The dough keeps for a couple of days in the fridge.

I know my wife dices chicken, places in a wok with green peppers, onions and fajita seasoning and hot water. The lid goes on and all cooks together. The taste is unbelievable. We add sour cream and guacamole from Waitrose, nothing is left.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Annb
    Might I suggest only changing one variable at a time? A new insulin, a new insulin taking regime and a change of diet all at once could make any results or problems difficult to pin down.

(Still quite a newbie so apologies if way off the mark)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Annb

It's only been a couple of days since I finally gave up on the low carb way of eating, and, at the moment, I'm still on my previous insulins. So all I am actually changing right now, is the timing of the basal dose. It seemed to work well yesterday but after a bad night, I slept in a bit so took the basal dose just after 7 am. FBG was 9.8. Breakfast was at 8.30 am, by which time my BG had risen to 10.0. So that's not quite as good as yesterday. For breakfast I had the remaining half of yesterday's frittata with a couple of fried eggs. Haven't checked BG again yet but it should be OK - no carbs to speak of in the breakfast. We'll see how it goes.

7. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, just remember that when you are changing the timing or dose of the basal dose it can take a good few days or even a week before any results of those changes show up. I was told the reason why is that your body gets used to whatever regime it is under and so needs time to adjust to any changes you are making to it. Think of it as the same as getting into keto or waiting for your muscles to stop aching after a new exercise although it doesn't take that long, obviously! Also BG can rise without having eaten any carbs or because of eating protein for some, etc so maybe still worth checking. x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Annb

I didn't know that, so thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye on what happens. I don't suppose this one change can do any harm anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook