low carb on insulin pump question

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whenever I go low carb I find I need to really increase my basal insulin throughout the day by up to 0.3u per hour. Does anyone else find they have to do this?

PaulAuster

Increasing fat intake may increase your insulin resistance for the first weeks as well, because you're taking more calories but the reduction of carb intake has had no effect yet. Stay strong on low carb diet for a few weeks and you should see some results. :D
Don't forget to check your blood sugar frequently if you're adapting to a low carb diet.

Good luck and be sure to tell us how it's going on! :)

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Paul/ That makes sense :)

I've done low carb before and the benefits do seem good. It's just sticking to it :D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with Paul. Fat delays the release of glucose and protein turns into glucose a few hours after you've eaten it. So if you've eaten a bit of fat and protein you might see that you need to increase your basal rate.

There's a few low carb pump users on here that may be along soon.

cculleton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would like to start and sustain low carb but am on a pump and don’t really know quite where to start. Any advice?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to start and sustain low carb but am on a pump and don’t really know quite where to start. Any advice?

cculleton - I'm not T2, never mind a pumper, so I have no wisdom to offer you.

I'll tag @Mel dCP who pumps on LC, although I think she started her LC ways preior to having her pump.

There is also a T1 Programme near to launch on the site, which is for T1s who would like to manage their diabetes, using a LC way of eating as part of their toolbox. I know there are some early adopters, raring to go, but if you are interested, just drop me a message and I'll find out what I can find out for you.