1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb or even no carb snacks?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Sunshine2297, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Sunshine2297

Sunshine2297 · Member

Hello

I'm trying to be good! I want to lose a bit of extra weight but also try to cut down on needing the extra insulin!

What low carb snacks do you guys like?

2. Jiabetes

Jiabetes · Member

Grapes are delicious and have a relatively low glycemic index avoiding spikes. They are also proven to help improve glycemic control a great choice

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

I'm assuming you're a T1.. but for an insulin resistant T2 then grapes are pretty bad for spiking blood sugar.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say that grapes are particularly low carb as they are full of sugar. @Sunshine2297 are you T1 or T2 as you may be able to have higher carb snacks if T1. That said there are a number of snacks that are low carb and I enjoy nuts, although be wary of cashews, pork scratchings, Aldi nut bars etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Not that I eat snack but here are a couple of ideas for you.

Cold chicken drumsticks, cold hard boiled eggs...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are low-ish carb nut bars, like some of the Trek Bars, or Nine bars - I find them useful for those coffee shop visits when everyone else has muffins and cakes!!! Usually have 2 or 3 in a week, and am still losing weight.

7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi guys, & hello @Sunshine2297 ,

The OP appears to be T1.

Grapes are not what I would call a low carb snack @Jiabetes (warm welcome to the forum by the way.)
    At a push, I've treated hypos with them.. :)

Pork scratchings are a nice low c crunchy snack.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Jaylee, Feb 11, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. sue1309

sue1309 Type 2 · Active Member

Yes....I was wondering what I could snack on....I’m a real grazer/nibbler, especially watching TV at night....I’m T2, need to lose weight

9. sue1309

Love ‘em....but my teeth don’t....

10. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

11. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

When I started low carb I used to keep some of the 20g packs of cheese at the front of the fridge so they were the first thing I saw!
    "Low or no carb" rather than foods that T1s on insulin might eat:
    most full fat cheeses - try wrapping a lettuce leaf around a slice of cheese
    cooked chicken legs
    a small quantity of olives or nuts (some nuts are higher in carbs so check the labels)
    some cold crispy bacon
    eggs - as a change from hard boiled I make eggy 'muffins' with a little double cream and some grated cheese in them, good hot or cold, I add black pepper plus paprika, or chives, or a little soy sauce
    a slice of ham
    a small amount of full fat real Greek yogurt with 5-6 raspberries stirred in
    One square of 85% dark chocolate - again check the labels as some are better, I like the 85% Lindt. You can even make a small hot chocolate drink by stirring a square into hot water with double cream instead of milk.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I checked out Trek, one of the bars has nearly 26g of carb - not low carb then, as that is the same as a couple of slices of bread.

When I went diet controlled I could only eat a max of 30g in one meal and 85g over the day so a coffee and a trek bar would be more than my main meal allowance. Most diet controlled T2s have to go even lower than me to get into remission.
    I assume a T1 who doesn't want to take extra insulin would also find eating 26g of extra carbs a problem?

13. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

As a T2 I try not to snack at all, but if I’m struggling I find Babybell cheese good, individually wrapped portion control. Olives also are a good low carb snack. I stay away from nuts if I can - far too easy to eat too many.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

I'd agree... you may be lucky and have no spike from grapes but they are little sugar bombs for me.

If you Google keto snacks you'll get a nice selection. My current favourite are peanut butter and dark choc chip 'cookies'. They aren't cookies and have some carbs but they feel decadent to me after months of no real treats!

15. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

If I am hungry after supper I dissolve sugar free jelly in a minimum of water - I put a Pyrex jug into hot water and make a one pint sachet into half a pint, pour it into a cold bowl - I put one into the freezer, then put frozen berries into it and pour in the jelly. It freezes almost at once, so I eat about a third of it with cream - or maybe half if I am really hungry and put the rest in the fridge.

• Like Like x 1
  16. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For low carb small individually wrapped hard cheese is great- here in Australia Costco has some which have edam, gouda and cheddar. I also buy snack size nuts (30 grams with 2.4 grams of carbs). Diet jelly is something else I use.

Having something ready to go is the trick I think. Here in Australia we also have a 'milk chocolate' bar which is low carb which I really like. I am still really careful with portion control.

Some people mention having some boiled eggs in the fridge. There is also some low carb ice cream.

Good luck.

17. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Good idea to eat something no needing insulin but remember that even if you have pure fat as a snack, you will be fuelling your body with energy that it could otherwise take from your own supplies i.e. might stall loss.
    Lots of snack ideas on Diet Doctor recipes here
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/snacks
    If I am out and peckish then Pret do a nice sachet of almond butter.
    Other than that black coffee is a great no carb option!

18. sue1309

Oh wow!! Looks like I’m gonna be all ‘snacked up’ for a long time!
    Thanks guys!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Sunshine2297

Sunshine2297 · Member

Ahhh thank you everyone! Some really good ideas and recipes to try! Love hearing what other people do and enjoy.

Massive help!

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook