Low Carb or LCHF

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi friends i am not new to the site but it has been a couple of years since i was here. I am type 2 and still on Metformin been on it for 20 years. With life going on in the 2 years i was tested and found i have 1 vain in my neck completely blocked which i was put onto Clopidogral blood thinner I did about 2 years ago revise my Diabetes and was taken off the Metformin but over time i have slowly gone back onto it just now i am on 1 metformin morning and night but with this lockdown and i was having to shield i think by my numbers i should be on 2 morning and night i am having a blood test next week so should find out then. I did in the past do LCHF and wondered if that had anything to do with my vain being blocked but would like to lower my blood sugars or even reversing my Diabetes again This is where i am now stuck do i do LCHF again as i'm not sure on this any help i would be greatful for Thanks friends

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome back,

I'm no expert but if you do have concerns about LCHF with your vein being blocked maybe have a talk to your doctor. You could also start at least reducing your carb intake and try sticking to those that raise your blood sugars the least.

It must feel really stressful so sending a virtual hug.

Good luck.

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fat consumption does not affect cholesterol at all. Cholesterol used to block that vein came from the liver. Do some research on it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi friends i am not new to the site but it has been a couple of years since i was here. I am type 2 and still on Metformin been on it for 20 years. With life going on in the 2 years i was tested and found i have 1 vain in my neck completely blocked which i was put onto Clopidogral blood thinner I did about 2 years ago revise my Diabetes and was taken off the Metformin but over time i have slowly gone back onto it just now i am on 1 metformin morning and night but with this lockdown and i was having to shield i think by my numbers i should be on 2 morning and night i am having a blood test next week so should find out then. I did in the past do LCHF and wondered if that had anything to do with my vain being blocked but would like to lower my blood sugars or even reversing my Diabetes again This is where i am now stuck do i do LCHF again as i'm not sure on this any help i would be greatful for Thanks friends

PamK, I think it is important you don't get onto the blame-game-train. It doesn't help anything.

My suggestions would be that you do lots of reading, concentrating on the more recent stuff. Understanding about someof the nutritional aspects, whether carbs, fats, or even calories have come a long way, even in the last 5 years.

If you want to do any reading, or watching on cholesterol, I would suggest looking at some of Professor Ken Sikaris, from New Zealand. He is a well regarded academic, but his presentations are in easy to understand language, I find.

pamK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all so much for your replies i will have to have a check again into it